OK dummy will ask

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
jimnks

what does asy & sy stand for? i just have a ks. bird book, i don't have the martin manual. i've been calling the dark ones males and the light ones females for years, and i know it takes a couple of years for the males to reach full plumage these are juveniles, right? i am not completely ignorant i figured out sreh, tres, hosp( i call this something different), and imo all by myself. i like abbreviations cause i can't type fast either! is a second year female called a juvenile also? now someone is trying to stir the kettle more with an older darker female,someone immediately called it a cougar, what is the abbreviation gonna be for that? i'm still looking for my first birds to stay, i still have 3 vacant houses, have had about 15 checking out things but no takers yet!!!
jim
jimnks
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Jim,

I'm glad you asked because I bet you there are plenty of others with the same question who didn't ask! :???:

The Martin FAQ at top of page has answers to your question and lots more besides.

http://www.purplemartin.org/forumarchiv ... ve/FAQ.htm

and for a quicker answer,
4. What do HY, SY and ASY mean? HY means "Hatching Year". These are the new martins born during the current spring and summer; they have not yet made their first migration to South America. SY means "Second Year"; these are the subadult martins that have spent only one winter in South America. ASY stands for "After Second Year" and includes all martins that have spent at least two winters in South America; they molt into their adult plumage during their second winter in South America.
AND
1. How do I identify Purple Martins? Purple Martins are sexually dimorphic (meaning the adult male and female have different plumages). Martins also exhibit "delayed plumage maturation", meaning the subadult (SY) birds have different plumage patterns than the adults (ASY). See the following site for descriptions and pictures of Purple Martin plumage Identification: http://www.purplemartin.org/MartinID/martinid.html. To distinguish martins from Tree Swallows, which are commonly mistaken for Purple Martins, go to http://purplemartin.org/forumarchives/a ... sPMnew.htm
Louise
Joe Zorn

Thanks, Jim. Every now and then someone gets brave enough to ask. I knew them all but the Cougar. Been seeing that word the past few days.

I've know some ladies I would describe that way, but only to be nice!

Is that like the Alpha Female?
jimnks

joe, yesterday was a good day, nice weather, i had 1 pair stay all night and this morning there were 2 more males here! they were able to get into my new sreh openings on my 1/2"plywood fronts that starlings haven't been able to get into yet, and wife also said weren't big enough that's why we weren't getting any martins, a victory for me, still waiting for her to say she was wrong!!!
i don't know about that alpha female, maybe louise will answer that, you know she was the one that started that cougar crap, but she went right around that question when i asked what they was going to call it!!!have a nice day, thanks for the reply.
jim
jimnks

Joe go back to the original post on the cougar ,I posted and explanation on it towards the end

dick
Joe Zorn

Dick,
Took me a while to find it, but I did see you post about going home with the last one pushed out the door.

I think I knew the lady a few years back. Definitely was Alpha Female!
Leather, chains, the whole show! :grin:

I don't know how I missed those posts, as that was only a week or so ago.