KS Landlords--Question about Migration

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
billb

Starlings & Sparrows & Hawks, Oh My!

That will keep you busy! Fortunately, sparrows are not too prominent in our neighborhood yet. We live in a new neighborhood without many big trees, and no houses over 2 years, so they are not yet established.

Starlings are about and occasionally land on the house. I would run them off on sight, but now the PM's do. I will enjoy it this season, because I assume the Starling and Sparrow population growth is not going to stagnate.

Keep a bind on them!

Bill
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

Hey Candice, i posted once earlier that i started out with 5 April 3 and then had 10 a few days later. At last count today it was up to 24, all ASY's, so i still believe they are still trickling in. I've seen reports here on the forum with SY's in Okla and just today bus loads still showing up in TX. So that sounds real encouraging. Its far from over. Next week is in the 70's all week...things they be a changin for all of us i do believe....
jimnks

Candace,
I had 5 today, 3 males and 2 females, landing on my houses, I was impressed, obviously they weren't, because an hour or 2 later they were down to 3 then to 2 then all gone tonight.I did see a scissor-tailed fly- catcher in the back yard today, if I remember right,they came after the martins had already arrived last year. I have only seen a couple of barn swallows so far,no chimney swifts, or king birds of either type. I still have harris sparrows at my feeder, from what I've read they don't nest here, they go north, but they are in no hurry to leave!
still waiting
jim
jimnks
jimnks

Candace,
I now have read the rest of the posts,I now know what is wrong ,Tony G,says he has( what 24 more?).I am sure they are probably ours,Tony G., is the purple martin pirate, holding our martins for ransom.RELEASE THEM NOW TONY OR ELSE!!!!!
I'm not sure else what ,but any way or else!!! I am very confident we will see purple martins by tomorrow! well kinda confident.
jim
jimnks
cchild03

Jim,

I'm in the exact same boat. I had the three ASYs show up on April 15, and I was hoping they were my three SYs from last year. They hung out off and on all day and then left. I didn't see them for a few days, and then they showed back up on Friday evening. I don't think they actually stayed in the house that night, but I can't be sure. They were around all day Saturday chasing sparrows away from the house and flying around a lot but rarely landing. Sunday, a pair camped out on the porch in front of one of my enlarged compartments with SREH. They stayed there for 20 minutes, but I never saw them actually go into the SREH. (I also have some smaller compartments with round holes just in case they can't/won't navigate the SREH.) Anyway, they left on Sunday and I didn't see them again. I saw them fly over once yesterday, but they didn't land. It was so windy, and I could tell they were trying to land on the house and were having a heck of a time with that. I haven't seen them at all today. I don't know what's going on with them. Maybe they're just residents of a neighboring colony and like coming over to mine to torment me and get my hopes up!

Tony G, if you can spare some birds ... send 'em packing up here to LV County. We promise to treat them right! ;)
Candace
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

Candice and Jim I will see what I can do.....but first my neighbors across the pasture wants some. He has 3 S&K houses and 4 gourds up and doesn't have any either. He had a snake last year that wiped him out so I think thats his problem. I told him he needs to be a better landlord and do nest checks.... Keep playing that dawn song and hopefully the SY'S will show up at your places. I was hoping for a few of them but nothing yet.....Tony
cchild03

Tony,

I hope your neighbor is able to get some after the snake wiped him out. I'm hopeful today. I've had three ASYs hanging around for the past two days--one pair and a single male. The single guy is bringing by lots of girls. When he's not doing that, he's hanging out on the house all day. They SEEM committed. We'll see!
Candace
J and J

We had an adult couple here for a day around April 15 and then nothing until today, except for pesky sparrows that we have eradicated for the moment...Then this morning after the rain cleared we have had a number of adult couples checking out the house and the first sub-adult male we have seen this year....So things are looking up in north KC. Sounds like your luck has also improved Candace :)

Two pair finally arrived here Wednesday last week.