Netting to Deter Snakes - How to?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Sharon - Central TX
Martin Colony History: All Troyer Horizontal Gourds with Conley Entrances
PMCA Member since 2004

I know this has been addressed several times before, but naturally when you are ready to do something, you can't find the instructions on how to do it! Since losing 7 babies last year (my first year to have martins) to a huge rat snake, I want to put some netting ABOVE the baffle. Since we have to remove the baffle whenever we lower the house and gourds, that would mean we would also have to remove the netting. The baffle is as high as we can get it off the ground without having to get on a ladder to secure it. The winch is below it. Again, would someone please explain HOW to attach the netting to the pole so that it can be removed with ease (with or w/o a snake) and if I remember correctly there were two different sizes of netting recommended. Can you tell me the sizes? Steve Kronke are you reading? I went to the Archives but it seems a lot of stuff is missing that used to be there.
Thanks,
Sharon
Steve Kroenke

Hey Sharon,

Here is a link to my article on rat snake predation:

http://forum.purplemartin.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=444

I describe my net trap in detail. I use two sizes of netting: 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch mesh squares to capture both small and large diameter rat snakes.

If you need more information, please email me. My email address is:

dnasrk28@aol.com

Good luck.

Steve
Sharon - Central TX
PMCA Member since 2004

Thank you so much Steve. I will go to the link right now and print out the info. We're on our way to somewhere this afternoon to get netting :-). Where depends on who has it! I'll e-mail you if I have any questions.
Sharon
John Atteberry

Hello Sharon,
I followed Steve's advice last year and put the net traps on the ground around the pole and caught three rat snakes on the ground in the net traps! I took four wire hangers that you hang your shirts on and took them apart. I then put them in the ground around the pole on four corners about 6 inches out of the ground. Then I wrap and bunch up the netting at the four corners and around the pole. It holds real well! Thanks and hope this helps! John
Sharon - Central TX
PMCA Member since 2004

Thank you John. Just want something that will work! I don't want to experience what we did last year. It is just too sad to lose those babies like that. I appreciate your help too.
Sharon
Dave S (Texas)

I recall reading an article, some years back, about using plastic sheeting as a guard. I don't remember if that was on the pmca site or where. Anyway with a guard/baffle already in place, draping plastic sheets or netting over the guard should deter the vipers.....whichever used, would have to be spayed out somehow and of different lengths. I wonder if someone knows of the plastic sheet article? The sheeting was a deterrent. The sheeting didn't capture the snake, it just couldn't get past it.
Steve Kroenke

Dave,

The plastic sheet guard is something I devised many years ago and I describe it in detail in the rat snake article. It does work, but plastic is adversely impacted by sunlight (UV light) and can decompose. I haven't been using that method recently and just stick with the netting.

Steve
Dave S (Texas)

Hi Steve

Well I knew the info came from a good source! Just couldn't remember who/where :)