Very late nest in St. Louis

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
John Miller

Have been lowering a few units today to check on things, after nearly all have fledged. I especially wanted to check a gourd where I could see parents feeding, but was puzzled at the age of the babies. Apparently there was a re-nest -- (eggs a month ago I think didn't hatch) -- because I found 4 healthy approimately 8-day-old nestlings. That means these would fledge about Aug. 14. The lastest fledging I've heard of in Missouri was Aug. 10. Let's hope these make it. Moderate temps predicted for next week at least, but tends to get very hot here in Aug.

John M

wow, I feel for them. I remember how lonely the 1 late nesting female I had was last year. The day her 2 babies fledged-they were gone. Also in mid august. I wonder if the late migration decreases survivability of the young?
Dawn~KS

Hi John,

I discovered a late nest in a Troyer gourd that had nothing all season until I found 4 eggs just a few days ago. It now has 3 babies and 1 egg (probably won't hatch). They should fledge around the 20th to 21st of August. I sure hope the parents see this out.......................

Dawn
LarryMelcher/KY

John,
I had a very late nest a few years ago at the colony I manage at work. Seems it fledged in August. If I remember correctly, not many other martins hung around and waited. I found one dead martin... probably the youngest, and the siblings couldn't wait another day and couldn't get the last one "talked into leaving".

It will be interesting to hear/read your posts on your late nest.

They are in good hands with you watching them.
I manage 2 public sites, and one at home, for a total of 172 cavities. Board Member / Non Profit PMCA.
Find videos that I edit for the PMCA Youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/PurpleMartinPMCA
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

John,
All of my martins have been coming back every night, albeit in dwindling numbers. Tonight they stopped by, but didn't stay. An ASY pair even abandoned their second nesting (it had already failed). It appears someone in Missouri has pushed the "time to migrate" button and they are flocking off to a roost somewhere. :roll:

I hope your babies make it. Please keep us posted! Larry's right - they're in good hands!
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com