Folke Peterson UPDATE-Fledgling

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts

First, Thanks to all of you. The support, advice and help is greatly appreciated.
I spoke to Heather, the Director of the Folke Peterson Wildlife Center.
We had a nice long conversation. A very nice lady, by the way.
She told me that their plans were to place him (possibly on Monday) in a large flight cage to flight test him. They do plan on releasing him here if he does fly, shortly after that. I told her that there were 3 nests due to fledge anytime after Monday. She also said that though he had no apparent injuries (other than dehydration and being thin) that he was going to be re-examined to make sure that medically, he has no issues.

I feel confidant that I conveyed the history of Purple Martins and their "semi-domesticity" , as I call it. She told me I could call on her personally for any concerns. I will keep you all in the loop and let you all know what happens.
Sparky

Good report Susan! Thanks! :grin:
I'm a "nestcamaholic" Is 18 hours a day a bad thing? (I have 2 this year, luckily I have 2 eyes!)
wyatt

Thanks Susan! I'm relieved and satisfied. They would have to be good people to be in the rehab business.

Wyatt

I just got a call from the vet. They flight tested him today and he flew fine!!!
I am going to pick up the fledgling and release him here tomorrow first thing in the morning (9AM)
Thanks to all and Praise God!
:grin: :grin: :grin:
The Olsons

Oh Susan,

This is such wonderful news; I have goosebumps :lol: :lol: :lol: I am wishing you and that little guy the best of luck for tomorrow!!!!!! After you pick him up maybe you can let him settle down at your place for a little while and have him look around to familiarize himself with his environment before he takes off.

You are a great landlord and a great person fighting for this little guy and his well being and not giving up. I also want to thank everyone who helped Susan and the little fledgling to get him on his way to being released and do what martins do best...fly. You are all great and very special martin friends with big, big hearts :grin: :grin: :grin:

Best wishes for tomorrow Susan :!: :!: :!:

Astrid
Love it or leave it~~~Astrid :-)
iluvbirds

That's wonderful news Susan! Let us know how his maiden voyage goes... :grin:
....... Pat

Susan:

I guess you had a good Friday, then?

I'm happy for you...

- Steve

Well little "Beau" the martin fledgling is free!!! :grin:
I will post all the details on my blog asap
But in short, he flew up towards my housing and circled several times with all the other martins in hot pursuit! They didn't give him too much of a hard time though!
Thanks again to all!!!!

Susan, That is great news. Good to hear the happy ending about little Beau! :grin: :grin: :grin: Keep us posted on his progress.
Judy

I love a happy ending... :cry: :cry: :) :)
The Olsons

Susan,

I am soooo happy to hear about Beau's successful release back into the martin world :lol: :lol: :lol: Wishing you a continuous great martin season
8) 8) 8)

I also read your blog....great blog and great webpage!!!!!!!

Astrid
Love it or leave it~~~Astrid :-)

Two good days in a row. Nw you're pusing it, Susan.

Kidding, of course. That's great news.

- Steve