Purple Martins on Talk radio show in Louisville Kentucky

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
LarryMelcher/KY

I hesitate posting this. I'm not one to toot my own horn, but I thought we'd all appreciate another post of Purple Martins in the media.

I manage a public colony at Bernheim Forest. They found out about my volunteer work there.

Below, is the link to WFPL. This is a public radio station. The show was taped and it aired 4/13/08. It just became available on their website.

Scroll down and click on "Listen to the show".

It was "off the cuff". I had no idea what they were going to ask. Of course, I wish I had said a few things different, but I think it went pretty well.

http://www.wfpl.org/CMS/?p=559

Larry
I manage 2 public sites, and one at home, for a total of 172 cavities. Board Member / Non Profit PMCA.
Find videos that I edit for the PMCA Youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/PurpleMartinPMCA
Matt F.

LarryMelcher/KY wrote:I hesitate posting this. I'm not one to toot my own horn, but I thought we'd all appreciate another post of Purple Martins in the media.
Toot away! Great interview Larry!

How's everything going with your colonies so far this season?

I've always enjoyed your photos, and updates from Bernheim, the Ford plant, and your home colonies.
LarryMelcher/KY

Thanks Matt.

I need to spend the time to re-size photos so I can post some here.

At Bernheim Forest, I'm in my third year of trying to build a returning colony in a great public place. I was successful at one location from the first year, (we have 2 colony sites at Bernheim) and just got lucky with the other site this year after moving the colony twice. Three times if you count the first "holes I dug" :)
The colony at Ford is gradually doing better. I've added more SREH and am now 100% SREH at this public site. I had the fun of showing a bunch of Ford workers supplemental feeding this Spring. I could tell that a lot of them met at the colony in dis-belief, but it was fun for me to see all the suprised looks on faces when the martins caught the crickets I shot in the air with a plastic spoon !!
I added more gourds at home and am really enjoying all the Spring action so far.

Counting the SY's.... All you Southern landlords keep sending them North !!
I manage 2 public sites, and one at home, for a total of 172 cavities. Board Member / Non Profit PMCA.
Find videos that I edit for the PMCA Youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/PurpleMartinPMCA
Linda Reynolds

Larry, your interview was candid and superb..........I listened to the original broadcast and again to the one in the archives...........Kudos and much thanks to YOU for all that YOU do.

You are doing fabulous work on behalf of the martins as exemplified by this broadcast and your public colony works at Bernheim Forest and the Ford plant. We are proud that such a knowledgeable enthusiast and mentor, such as yourself, is a part of this great community.

Thanks for all that you do.........
Ever-Grateful,
Linda
The Olsons

LARRY,

This is such a wonderful show....congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! We were all glued to the computer listening to it together. The hosts had excellent questions for you and you did such a great job answering. I am sure that the radio show got many people who did not know about the Purple Martins interested.

It is also great that the radio station will post the different type of gourds and other links on their web page. Very well done!!!!!!

Can I now have an autograph please....????

Astrid
Love it or leave it~~~Astrid :-)

Wow Larry, what a great job. Did you prep them before the interview? They asked excellent questions, and you did a great job with answers.

I dont know how you could have done anything better.

I know when they put the camera in my face at the roost last year, I had so much I wanted to say, but I got very nervous. You were super cool under pressure.

Who knows how many new martineers will come from that interview.
Gary W

Hey Larry,

You did a great interview! That was a thorough discussion on how to manage a colony. The general public definitely needs to know about the particulars you covered to successfully manage the birds. I am sure you recruited some of the listeners to take up martineering for the future!

Gary
LarryMelcher/KY

Linda,
You are too kind... I read of many other landlords that do so much more than me. I've gotten "really deep" in this hobby, and I've learned so much from you and many others. I wish there were some serious landlords close in my area to help me spread the fun of martineering.

Astrid,
L-a-r-r-y.... M-e-l-c-h-e-r There !!

Now that it is available on their website, it may make the media think about doing more stories if some of yawl would make a comment about Purple Martins.

I wanted to make sure the PMCA's web address was posted, but some of them were choices made by the radio station.

WV Martineer,
You probably had no idea that the camera was going to be pointed at you. I bet I saw your interview, but I'm sorry... "WV Martineer"... your real name would help joggle this Kentucky brain of mine. :)

I did try to think of what they may ask, and had a few weeks before to get prepared. But, it was a suprise when I went to the radio station, met Bob, Jeneen, and Brad the producer... sat down, put on head phones and just started talking like we were at the kitchen table. Jeneen told me by email, way before the interview, that they like to do the show's "off the cuff". I thought she would at least ... before the taping, say," okay, I'm gonna ask about this, this, and ..... " Nothing. We just started talking.

Thanks. It was an experience !!
John Miller

Just as smooth as Kentucky bourbon.

Enjoyed it very much (the interview).

John Miller
LarryMelcher/KY

Thanks Gary!
Now that it is available on the archives... My goal at public colonies and this chance with the talk show interview, is to get folks to take a look at martineering. It's kinda sad the folks that have never seen, or even know what a Purple Martin is.
Show your colony... share your colony as often as possible. Martins need more good, serious landlords.

.....thanks John !!
iluvbirds

I just got done listening to the interview Larry, and you did a fine job! You didn't sound nervous one bit. I'm sure it was very informative to future landlords. Great job!.... :grin:
....... Pat

Excellent job Larry! That will get some more houses in the air and gives the knowledge of what needs to be done with them.
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Larry,
What an awesome interview! I'm in awe of how you managed to hit every point (the starling & sparrow points several times 8) ) that every landlord needs to know when setting up their new house. Agree with John - very smooth!

It would be nice to get that kind of information out around southern Missouri. There are so many PM houses up with trees, starlings & sparrows around. I know if I could make them successful, then I'll be able to grow my super colony much faster. :lol: :wink: :lol:
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
LarryMelcher/KY

Thanks for all the kind replies !!!

Yawl must really be curious to listen... the whole show is 50 minutes long, and my part was toward the last half.

I listened to it again today. It makes only the second time I heard it. I feel good to have gotten the chance to talk martins. I hope lots of folks heard it, and half of them go looking to putting up a gourd rack or house. :)

Let's all do what we can. Tell someone... show someone your martins. Martins need more good landlords.
Matt F.

LarryMelcher/KY wrote:Yawl must really be curious to listen... the whole show is 50 minutes long, and my part was toward the last half.
I must confess, I fast forwarded past the orchid guy's segment........ :mrgreen:
wyatt

GREAT job Larry. I could never think on my feet like that. I am impressed.

Wyatt
LarryMelcher/KY

Why thank you, Wyatt. I like martineering, and I read a lot on the forums, and since I manage a few public colonies, some of the basic stuff I repeat a lot. I remember taking over the first public colony at work. I quickly got tired of answering, "I'm not sure" when someone would approach me doing nest checks. I guess they just assumed I knew. So I started reading more. I quickly found out that I better be ready to answer some questions if I'm going to manage a public colony.
I still have a lot to learn. They kinda stumped me when they asked what parts of South America do they go to. I need to read up on that part.
All in all I like how it turned out. Thanks for taking the time to check it out!
Larry