80 mile winds bent my MSS12 pole

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
CraigMo.
Martin Colony History: Active since 2003

Last night we had a storm and the weather radio said winds up to 80 miles an hr is possible. Well I woke up and looked out and my MSS12(grandpa) set up was bent. Today I will have to try to straighten it up after work. I tried to a little this morning but couldn't. Atleast my martins are still here. It might be a little ugly if I cant fix it today. I will replace the pole but it will take a few days atleast for it to get here. Hope thats all the damage, I guess I will find out when it get light outside. I have had this setup for 7 years and never has this pole bent, so to me its a strong pole.(must of been a strong storm).

Hi Craig,

I have the same setup as you with two hanging gourds. I am looking at the same storm heading here. With just lookers so far I think I will bring it down for the storm. Last week it took a 60 mph wind pretty good.
Dawn~KS

Sorry to hear it, Craig. At least it did not hit the ground. Those were some very strong storms. The most severe part with tornado warnings missed us by 15 miles or so. I was up in the wee hours watching the local weather and it was pretty active out there!! Good luck getting this fixed and hope that is the worst of it!! :)

Dawn :)
Bob

Craig,

Sorry to hear about the damage to your housing set up. It sounds like you had some pretty nasty storms come through your area. I know we are do for some sever storms here later on today, but I don't think we are expecting winds that strong.

Glad to hear the martins are still there.

Bob
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Craig,
Sorry to hear about your pole- that sucks. I got up at 6:30 AM this morning and hubby said that a front was getting ready to hit us, packing 87 mph winds. I hated to, but I walked out to the house and flushed the martins and lowered the house to half-mast (Trendsetter on the 2" square pole). One of them rode the ride all the way down but they all came back immediately, right before the winds struck. I was glad I did- even at half mast, it was swinging some.

St. Louis, be prepared - if the storms that hit us maintain their current winds (75 - 100mph), your martins are in for a heck of a ride - at least for about 10-15 minutes! :roll:
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
CraigMo.

Bob,Kathy,Dawn,Troy and Marlina thanks all for your concerns. I guess I should of gone out at 0200 to lower the house, but you know how it is at 2a.m. I am pretty sure that my house won't stay in one position when it is lowered halfway anyways. I am not positve but I think it bent toward the bottom of the pole. I wonder if the PMCA shop can sell a section of the pole of this setup or if not if the mfg. would be able to. I guess I will wait and see what I can do when I get off work. Called my wife at 0700 and she said the martins were sitting on the house like everything was normal. Come on work whistle blow!!!!!
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Craig, regarding 2:00 AM - sleep is overrated anyway, isn't it? :lol: :lol:

I almost didn't do it either - I'm so NOT a morning person!!

As Dawn said, I'm glad your house didn't hit the ground!! Do you have eggs yet? My 2 pair started nest building a few days ago.
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
CraigMo.

Kathy,no eggs yet, just started building last weekend. I got the pole pretty straight now, but am trying to find the section of pole that is bent. Cant find anyone that sells it so I have emailed the mfg of the house to see if they can sell me the one section.
Last edited by CraigMo. on Fri May 02, 2008 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Craig,this morning they forcasted strong winds here so even tho i dont have martins i lowered mine. then of course we didnt have wind ,it just rained till noon then turned off beautiful ,so i raised it and turned on the chatter CD.
Still hopeing to get some subs .