Great Year So Far.......

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts

I am more of a reader than a writer on this forum. I appreciate all the info you guys give. Last year was my first year as a landlord. I put up a S&K house, had plenty of sparrows and starlings but no martins. Changed my plan this year and put up two poles with six gourds on each pole. We have had storms off and on all day today but late this afternoon I counted 12 martins spending the night. :grin: What a difference a year makes!!

I am so happy for you. It sounds like the gourds did the trick :grin:
Congrats, and best wishes for the season.

Great to hear Troy. I believe the difference is in the gourds you put up. I erected a S&K house this year for several reasons but for the last two years they only take to the gourds. 4 pair so far & that is what I had last year. Looks like you will blow my doors off your first year my friend. Great state N.C. have a lot of kinfolk around Hickory. Keep us updated & take care of them Martins!!

Ron
zoefluf

Congratulations! Your site must be VERY attractive to the PMs to have SO MANY for your first year. You know what that means? Next year you will have to add to your set-up. 8) :grin:
Jeanne
"Look at the birds in the sky. They do not sow or reap, yet your heavenly Father feeds them."
Stingray

Troy Smith wrote:I am more of a reader than a writer on this forum. I appreciate all the info you guys give. Last year was my first year as a landlord. I put up a S&K house, had plenty of sparrows and starlings but no martins. Changed my plan this year and put up two poles with six gourds on each pole. We have had storms off and on all day today but late this afternoon I counted 12 martins spending the night. :grin: What a difference a year makes!!
Congrats Troy.
I will put up gourds next season.
In this our fourth year, I would like to have a busier pm house.
Currently we have one nesting pair and one single ASY male.
Hopefully, he'll be able to find a lady friend!

Regards,
Pedro

I've also noticed that the 12 gourds I have (6 S&K Bo Gourds and 6 S&K Big Bo Gourds) That the martins I have are claiming the 6 Big Bo Gourds first. They seem to have nothing to do with the Bo Gourds. Has anyone else had this happen?
iluvbirds

WOW Troy! That's an awesome number for the first year!... :) ....

I had a couple of Bo Gourds, but my Martins wouldn't use them either, so I took them down. They really love the Big Bos, and the Combo Plus gourds I have from S&K. I also have the S&K Red Barn, (which I modified into bigger rooms) and they love it too.

Good luck to you, I hope you have a GREAT season!... :)
....... Pat