Yet another question about starlings

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts

I have three starlings hanging around that I haven't been able to get rid of. Assuming I have some martins this year, they will be due to arrive any day now. Two of the starlings appear to have started nesting in a tree across the creek from where our martin houses are. If this is the case, will they most likely stick with their nest area, or how likely is it that they will try to hone in on the martin houses. If they do claim a nesting box in the house, what is the best management practice? Should I block the entrance they choose? Will that just drive them to seek another available box or usurp a pair of martins from theirs? Does anyone know any particular actions or circumstances that lead to increasing aggression in starlings? Any advice?

ps, shooting is not much of an option for me due to locations of other houses in the area. I'd rather be too safe than sorry.
Lhawk
Martin Colony History: Started tying in 2001 finally got 3 pair in 2003. Since then I had a steady increase to the 34 pair I now host in 2 Watersedge Suites 1 Trendsetter,and 12 plastic gourds.

Lily,
Check out this post by Bernie. This makes sense to me, and I'm going to try it at my remote colony" Ample Acres" in Mississppi.

http://www.purplemartin.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10008
Tenth year as a landlord. Started with 9 pair the second year housing was up ,2004. Now have 32 pair here in town, and 38 pair at the farm. Life is truly good

Thanks. I read that thread when it was posted, but was afraid that they would simply take it out on the martins and start fighting/evicting martins if I did this. I'm game if will help more than hurt.
Scully

Lily,

Starlings are a given at our school site, several pairs nest in and around campus. I would guess you are relatively safe from that particular starling pair, its the ones that haven't shown up yet that you have to worry about, a bad thing about starlings being the amount of rapid destruction they can cause upon arrival.

Are you using SREH's?

Mike Scully

Thanks Mike. I'm not using sreh yet, and have never had starlings before, but will be changing them out. Thanks for the info.
Jim Rockford

This tactic has been posted before, and it works for me. Once you equip your martin house with SREHs, put a nest box trap within easy sight of the martin house and in a spot that's not desirable for martins. I mounted mine to a fence near my martin house about 10 feet off the ground.

Starlings will struggle to try to enter the compartments through the SREHs, but they'll find the going tough. When they see the irresistible round hole in the nest box trap, you'll get them. I've dispatched 7 of them so far this year and haven't seen one for two weeks now.

Starlings are not a problem for me. But unfortunately, neither are martins. I'm sitting around here with an empty house! :cry:

Ed

Jim Rockford wrote:Once you equip your martin house with SREHs, put a nest box trap within easy sight of the martin house and in a spot that's not desirable for martins. Starlings will struggle to try to enter the compartments through the SREHs, but they'll find the going tough.

Starlings are not a problem for me. But unfortunately, neither are martins. I'm sitting around here with an empty house! :cry:

Ed
That's what I'm planning to do. Sorry you don't have martins yet. I don't know yet if I will or not.
klcretired

lilyrose
you will get martins, they are here now just keep after those Trash Beaks do whatever you can , shoot, trap, ertc,etc,persistance pays off big dividends and you & the martins win.
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com