Took my houses down today

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Conrad Baker

Haven't seen any Martins in a while, and tired of shooting Sparrows, so I took the PM houses down today. Cleaned them out, thankfully no dead birds, and surprisingly no eggs either. Off they go to the garage until January.
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- Visitors.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021- 28 pair. 118 fledged
Home colony: mix natural, super and excluder gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satellite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mini castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021: 10 pair, 30 fledged
PMCA member

One more season down! Glad you didn't find any dead birds, be a bummer at end of the season.

2 weeks here, still have chicks come in late afternoon...and an adult female first adult iv seen since sat. Still sleeping in their gourds!
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.
Conrad Baker

I did have some dead right after we had that freeze earlier in the season, but fortunately no babies were present during that horrible weather. It was bad enough for the adults, but I doubt any babies would have survived with no food available. I hope we never see those conditions again during the early part of the season. Their journey is long and really difficult to survive and they usually arrive in a weakened condition.
MJM

First-timer here- but mine just hatched their eggs maybe within the past few weeks. When do they fly the coop? How do you know to take them down... just when you see no more martins on the house?
C.C.Martins
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
Home colony: mix natural, super and excluder gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satellite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mini castle with enlarged compartments.
PMCA member

Yes, echo that. Never again. After it started to clear we got another weak front, a weakened martin male died right in the nest. Found another in the back yard under some rocks. I think these birds faced the strong winds while crossing and stalled at the coast, made it as far as they could.
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.
Conrad Baker

MJM wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:33 am
First-timer here- but mine just hatched their eggs maybe within the past few weeks. When do they fly the coop? How do you know to take them down... just when you see no more martins on the house?
You have a while to go yet (lucky for you). After they hatch, the parents will continue to feed them continuously all day long. When you see the babies sticking their heads out of the compartment (after about a week), you should have another week or so. Depending on the housing you have, they might eventually wander out onto the porch (if you have one).
I went about two weeks of not seeing any before I decided to take the houses down. The only thing that was using them was the Sparrows, so I took them down. Other landlords in the area have sightings of Martins so they are leaving their housing up still.
Martintown33
Martin Colony History: 21 year colony. 2 s&k modified houses and gourd rack

I had a sighting yesterday. 2 were flying high above my yard..I’ve never seen them hang around this long. Very unusual…
Rob
Conrad Baker

Martintown33 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:05 am
I had a sighting yesterday. 2 were flying high above my yard..I’ve never seen them hang around this long. Very unusual…
Rob
Any spending the night that you know of??
Martintown33

No Conrad. None are spending the night anymore... I see them flying above my yard, in the morning, hunting and harassing hawks. But they’re getting fewer now. Only saw 3 of them this am…
Rob
C.C.Martins
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
PMCA member

Well Rob, at least they have had a good start. I understand this is late for them to be hanging around for you, but enjoy while you can right? Late November well be playing the dawn song on our phones..... :shock:
Tom
Martintown33

Yep Conrad. I’m enjoying them til they leave. I’m sure it will be soon..I always take some videos of first flying days of the fledglings, so that holds me over til February. I’ve already started prepping my houses for next year. I’m adding pvc elbows to the houses and gourds for added ventilation. I replace any dried out snaps with nuts and bolts.. I’m also adding perch poles to the houses.. silicone any possible leak spots, etc.. I’ve been using a fishing net with long pole to catch dragonflies. It takes trial and error to figure them out, but I got it now. My goal is to get 100 of them in the freezer. I figure what better way to train them to take tossed food than with their favorite dish! Once I get them taking dragonflies, I will switch to crickets and june bugs. I hope it works.. also I saw a post where a guy uses a reptile heat lamp, to warm his houses. I’m going to order 2, and rig them up for next February……. 22 years at this, but this next season I will be the most prepared I’ve ever been. Don’t ever want to go through a tragedy like last February again!
Rob