Possible Tropical Storm

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total.
6 fledges.

2021: 9 pair, 47 eggs
36 hatchlings
30 fledged

We may get a bit if a weak TS or Depression by lte FRi night - Sat … so people of LA , MS may want to watch closely and lower gourd racks a bit in preparation for some windy weather near landfall. Also, tons of heavy rain mostly east of landfall
Conrad Baker

Yea, as usual the forecast track is coming right over my house, so I'm going out to lower the PM houses. Hoping for the best on this one. Looks like we have a long Hurricane season ahead of us, and it's getting started early with this TS.
Thomabear

Watching this closely... As luck would have it I have 3 compartments with earliest fledge dates of 6/15. They are on the porches now. I don't expect this will be good weather for the mothers to train their young. Hopefully they will hold off a couple more days until this weather has passed.
2019- 6 Pair, 31 Hatched, 30 Fledged
2020- 8 Pair, 38 Hatched, 32 Fledged
2021- 10 Pair, 51 Hatched, 39 Fledged
2021- HOSP (Repeating Trap/Mararder Pellet Rifle) count to date 121, Starlings 2

PMCA Member
Martintown33
Martin Colony History: 21 year colony. 2 s&k modified houses and gourd rack

Yep.. got my houses lowered for winds tonight thru Saturday am. Just glad it’s not going to be over 40 mph gusts. Everyone should be fine if lowered and have a good pole.
Good luck..
Rob
Thomabear

Just had a strong isolated squall pass through with sideways rain and about 40 MPH wind. I watched 3 jumpers hit the ground and they tried to take off but the wind was too much for them. In the aftermath I found one dead that hit my building and the other two were taken by the wind they were unable to overcome. Tree leaves and small limbs are scattered everywhere. They were out of sight in a matter of a couple seconds. I'm loosing confidence that my "fledge age" group will make it through the expected weather tonight. I'm dead center of the projected path and not far from the coast. I hope this weather doesn't develop further. Between the late freezing weather, first time hawk and owl attacks and now this, its been a struggle.
Last edited by Thomabear on Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2019- 6 Pair, 31 Hatched, 30 Fledged
2020- 8 Pair, 38 Hatched, 32 Fledged
2021- 10 Pair, 51 Hatched, 39 Fledged
2021- HOSP (Repeating Trap/Mararder Pellet Rifle) count to date 121, Starlings 2

PMCA Member
Martintown33
Martin Colony History: 21 year colony. 2 s&k modified houses and gourd rack

Oh no! That’s rough. So sorry to hear this. I’m in Laplace. Not too bad so far, here.. wind and rain.. So very sorry for your loss. Hope this passes thru quickly.
Best of luck..
Rob