Female abandonment - ?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
kjbarnett

Hello -

Hope someone has some answers for me. Here's the situation .... since May 18th, I have had a pair of subadults (male/female) nesting in a Super gourd. However, last night and tonight only the female has nested. The male has been a no show. I have stayed outside until dark with my eyes glued on that gourd. Then, the next morning, the male shows up, hangs around, the female does too. I see her in the gourd even at noon and three in the afternoon. But what is the deal? Why has it that the male hasn't been showing up in the evening to nest with her. They are my only pair. Anyone give me any advice on this situation? Thanks so much!!

Kelli B.
Broken Arrow, OK
CAK

That’s interesting. Do you know if they have laid eggs yet?
I had my first SY pair last year plus one extra SY male and these three birds were the only ones I had at the house. It gave me an opportunity to observe their behavior a little more closely. I noticed that they would meet at the house in the mornings (before nesting) and many times they would not arrive at the same time but one would be there waiting for the others sometimes 30 minutes or an hour. I theorized they were SY’s from different colonies and they felt more comfortable staying the night at the colony they hatched at. This went on pretty consistently until sometime around when the female began laying. Then the seemed to be around consistently. This year when they returned, none of the three stayed the night and I was concerned I was just seeing visitors. They eventually started staying the night one by one. The female was the first one to consistently stay the night, then eventually a male, then the other male. Those three have brought in many others and I have 5 nests with eggs and counting.
My guess is your male will begin to stay soon once he figures things out.
kjbarnett

Thanks for you input! The last I checked two nights ago there were no eggs. I'm hoping just like you said that once the eggs begin dropping a more consistent behavior will develop between the two.

Kelli B.
Broken Arrow, OK
Martintown33
Martin Colony History: 21 year colony. 2 s&k modified houses and gourd rack

Hello Keli,
I had the same issue at the beginning of my season down in se Louisiana. The male will eventually stay the nights with the female.
Good luck!
Rob