Early November is recycling time/election signs

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

After voting is over in a few weeks, some of us will be recycling campaign signs. It might be good manners to phone offices of candidates to ask if it's okay for you to reuse the signs first :wink:

These dandy plastic signs can be used to make shade panels for martin houses and gourds - first spray both sides with fusion spray paint (white is best), it may take more than one coat per side. The goal is to make the plastic opaque, so no sunlight shines through - otherwise they will not provide cooling shade next July.

We shade nests here only if they have nestlings in July and temps are going to reach above 95 and stay there for a few days. Outdoor zip ties, with UV inhibitor, have made an easy attachment method for us.
Attachments
cool, shady gourd for July nestlings in TX
cool, shady gourd for July nestlings in TX
gourd shade 2.png (285.31 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
attached by punching holes with an awl, running the zip ties through them.  Anchored at 3 or 4 places for our windy location.
attached by punching holes with an awl, running the zip ties through them. Anchored at 3 or 4 places for our windy location.
gourd shade .png (396.8 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
Anthony Neira
Martin Colony History: Started in 1992 From neighbors old 1950-60's colonies. Have 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 4 MPP Poles, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals ,& 2 S&K 11" WITH Troyer Porches ready for 2019 Season !

Great Idea Louise!...Is it..THE FATTER THE CAT, THE BIGGER THE SIGN ?? :evil: :wink: :grin:
PMCA Member, 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals + Tunnels, & 2 S&K Bo 11"s WITH Troyer Porches ! 4 MPPs, For 2019 Season !! :grin: Started in 1992 from Older '50-'60s Colonies.
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Anthony, those big signs are easy to cut with a box cutter/mat knife - making many nice smaller signs. Landlords can also put shade panels on sides of houses - always use spacers so air can flow through shaded areas for better cooling, and secure panels so wind can't grab them.

Years back, I saw a presentation by David Shiels on heat shields for bluebird boxes at TX Bluebird Society meeting - so helpful in hot areas. http://www.texasbluebirdsociety.org/doc ... _plans.pdf

Martin landlords had already made similar modifications to shade and cool housing, but his presentation makes it easy to share. We've added heat shields/shade panels to all our single nest boxes, and as needed to martin gourds and houses.

I know this is not the time of year when we are thinking about heat next summer, but since elections are close, it's a good time to think about harvesting and reusing the signs, instead of letting them go into dumpsters.
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

Good idea. The coriplast has small tunnels just like cardboard, and I have these channels pointing up so the heat goes up and out and away from the gourd. I also painted all of mine white after installation
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
Anthony Neira
Martin Colony History: Started in 1992 From neighbors old 1950-60's colonies. Have 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 4 MPP Poles, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals ,& 2 S&K 11" WITH Troyer Porches ready for 2019 Season !

Thanks Louise & Emil, will do! I've spotted some nice ones around here, should be great for "Flat Top" Trios also!...( Like we say around here, "no shortage of political signs in Texas!" :wink: ) people in S.A LOVE to be creative with them!
PMCA Member, 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals + Tunnels, & 2 S&K Bo 11"s WITH Troyer Porches ! 4 MPPs, For 2019 Season !! :grin: Started in 1992 from Older '50-'60s Colonies.
Craig Haddox

I cut the signs for the sides and back of the wood nest trays I make.