Introduction and two newbie questions.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Don Troha

Upon examining the house I realized that each nesting cavity is not well isolated from the next cavity. If a HOSP was caught by a simple door trap it would be able to squeeze over into the next compartment to get out.
That's true for the top floor of the Heath house. You can get an insert trap that fits inside the compartment. PMCA sells one I think. The problem I had with this house is that once the babies were old enough to crawl, they figured out how to climb the walls and moved around the house from compartment to compartment. Mom & Dad sometimes had to search the compartments to find a mouth to feed.

Other problem is that the ends of the porches are open and the babies can push each other over the edge. You might want to block the ends of the porches with something like a perching rod.
2019 - 14 pair, 61 fledged
2018 - 15 pair, 63 fledged
2017 - 11 pair, 46 fledged
2016 - 5 pair, 22 fledged
2015 - 3 pair, 13 fledged
2014 - 3 pair, 12 fledged
2013 - 3 pair, 12 fledged
2012 - 2 pair, 8 fledged
2011 - 1 pair, 2 fledged
Steve Martin

Don Troha wrote:
Upon examining the house I realized that each nesting cavity is not well isolated from the next cavity. If a HOSP was caught by a simple door trap it would be able to squeeze over into the next compartment to get out.
That's true for the top floor of the Heath house. You can get an insert trap that fits inside the compartment. PMCA sells one I think.
Yeah, I looked around for some, now that I know the exact model of my house I could find one that will fit. My problem is that I am currently living in poverty and I really don't need to spend money on the martins. I'm just looking for something to give me hope, while I am working to upgrade my financial situation.
Don Troha wrote:The problem I had with this house is that once the babies were old enough to crawl, they figured out how to climb the walls and moved around the house from compartment to compartment. Mom & Dad sometimes had to search the compartments to find a mouth to feed.
It seems that some plastic that is hard enough hold it's shape and soft enough to cut with scissors combined with some doubled stick foam tape, should be able to remedy this situation in a frugal manner. I'm just not sure it would hold a ticked-off HOSP.
Don Troha

Here's a post by a member who used a corrugated plastic sign to construct a ceiling for the top floor of the house. Scroll to the bottom and read the last post.
http://www.purplemartin.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4710
More tips on how to host Martins with this house can be found by doing a forum search for Heath house.
2019 - 14 pair, 61 fledged
2018 - 15 pair, 63 fledged
2017 - 11 pair, 46 fledged
2016 - 5 pair, 22 fledged
2015 - 3 pair, 13 fledged
2014 - 3 pair, 12 fledged
2013 - 3 pair, 12 fledged
2012 - 2 pair, 8 fledged
2011 - 1 pair, 2 fledged