wearing the starlings OUT!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
klcretired

Hi GobblerT,
along w/ Rat Traps In the past I have used Glue Traps, They work very well you can buy them ay=t most stores like walmart, Home depot, Lowes ,etc,etc

Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total (May2020)

I've had very good results with glue traps. I insert the trap in a HS nest and within minutes I will get one, sometimes both. I usually resort to glue traps if I'm having a tough time getting a clean shot with my pellet rifle. Using a glue trap in an active HS nest pretty much assures I won't get a martin by accident.
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

I want to share a caution about using glue traps, rat traps, etc, in martin compartments/gourds. Use a hole reducer to make sure a martin or bluebird cannot get in with a trap of either kind. Don't assume that because you placed it behind a house sparrow nest, a martin will not enter.

Here's my experience: I placed non-lethal traps (universal sparrow trap and one-fits-all trap) inside compartments where house sparrows had built nests. I pushed the traps all the way to the back, and replaced the house sparrow nest in front, with the little entry tunnel that they like.

I caught 3 martins. So the belief that leaving a hosp nest in the compartment means martins will not enter is not always true. If I'd had a rat or glue trap in those compartments, I could have killed or severely damaged martins.

Hole reducers are easy to make from lid of cottage cheese or sour cream container. Cut a 1-1/4 inch hole that will admit HOSP but not martins or bluebirds. Fasten this to outside door with masking tape (not duct tape, which leaves too much sticky residue when removed, could get into martins' feathers). Use hole reducers and check traps frequently. I was able to release all martins quickly, unharmed - and never put a trap in without a hole reducer again.
klcretired

Louise Thank you for that post, I should have added That I only use the traps Glue/Rat during the off season and urge everyone to do the same
Or use them only if they are sure that there are no Martins and Thank you for the Hole reducer Method.
Being a seasoned Martin Veteran and even tho we know what to do, Not everyone does, Its good to bring it to every ones attention so as not to Harm any Martins
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com
Siberman

Eureka ! :lol:

A few years back I had an S&K that wasn't being used so I lowered it to 6' . Starlings immediately claimed it as their own and the martins wouldn't go near it . I caught 4 starlings in the same nest with a rat trap . Although the starlings aren't a problem this year due to my attack Mockingbird , I'm considering putting one of the round hole houses down low with a live trap to accommodate the S & S .

I have a repeating trap but I'm close to trashing it . I just can't seem to keep the Cardinals out of it and I've lost two females this year from "trap panic" . :-(
2010: 5 pair - raptor attack .
2011 : nada .
2012 : 1 pair - 5 eggs / 5 fledged .
2013: zero
2014: Lots of visitors
2015 : several visitors . Seriously considering purchasing a drone to scare off raptors .