Satellite gourd rack

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.Here late in season seemed to have as many as 18 Pr of nesting birds. Huge upscale in birds from 2019. Will also have a 20 gourd satellite rack prepared for the 2021 season.

Well guys and gals I said last season I would be making a new gourd rack from a satellite dish. Got started today. Got all the old mess off all one million screws and began to sand it down ,got about half way done. I’m gonna go ahead and replace my wooden gourd rack that holds about 16 with this new aluminum satellite rack that should hold around 30 natural gourds. The frame is seven feet in diameter and I kinda eyeballed it and believe it should hold around thirty gourds with no clanking together. I’m excited to get it going. Believe it or not that seven door aluminum frame weighs far less than my chuck abare cypress rack...amazing! I don’t think replacing the rack with a new one should be an issue as it will be similar just larger,I don’t anticipate any of my martins returning to have a problem with the difference. Comments are welcome y’all
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Good for you on the upgraded rack system. I don't for see any problems for the martins on their return. Best of luck and happy building my friend.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.Here late in season seemed to have as many as 18 Pr of nesting birds. Huge upscale in birds from 2019. Will also have a 20 gourd satellite rack prepared for the 2021 season.

Thanks Dave ,I figured you’d weigh in on the new rack. Your advice or guidance is always welcome. If you remember back when I got started I sought lots of advice from you. Last year was great ,went from 6-7pr in 2019 to around 18 or 20 in 2020. This season I’m going to put the four special gourds back on the lone pole and the horizontals under the houses as they always choose those immediately,same birds I beleive. Then I’ll put this larger rack up with an increase from 16 to around 30 gourds. Optimistic to see what happens. Due to the large increase last year I look for all the extra birds to get out and bring home even more new residents,we’ll see.
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

It makes me feel good when I can assist in any way with landlords and the martins. Wow !!! You basically doubled in colony pairs in one year. That is a sign of a well managed colony, congrats. I agree with you when martins seem to have a preference and choose housing immediately upon their return. It makes me feel warm inside when landlords expand their colony housing in preparation for the future growth. I always share with landlords that a colony size should be as big as the landlord feels comfortable in managing and keeping the colony healthy and safe. At this time in your colony, it is like playing a numbers game in growth. The colony will grow exponentially due to the return of around 15% of last years hatchlings. As the years go by and all is taken care of, that 15% of an ever increasing colony numbers will seem to explode in growth. We have an Iowa Purple Martin Organization landlord from a small town in southeast iowa (Lockridge), who offers 200 compartments; both metal housing and gourds. He mentioned that he still recalls how excited he was when he got his first nesting pair. I believe he had over 180 nesting pair this year. Like I said before, it all rests on how well a landlord feels comfy in colony size and ability to manage it in a responsible way. He is a great landlord and manages his colony is a top notch way. I look forward to seeing hwo your colony grows next year.

Dave
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
PMDavid

Ok Dave, here’s where I’m at(not far)😳 so I’m wingin it here. I have a piece of hurricane fence post ,the corner post. My main pole for the rack is a piece of 1 1/2” schedule 80 x 21’ . It’s already up has my old rack on it. It’s four foot in the ground concreted. So being sched80 the side walls are like 3/16” thick stout stuff. The piece of corner post I have is like 2 3/8”. So the main pole coming in at just under 2” OD and the corner post pipe having an ID of just slightly under the 2 3/8” it should slide up and down the main pole nicely. I realize that ain’t a lot of slack but I think the lack of slack to rock back and forth will in fact help prevent binding. I’m gonna roll the leading edges out a bit so that the sharp edge can’t contact the main pole . I took the two round solid plates off the satellite and drilled the 2 3/8” holes to fit the corner post pipe and that went well and it’s a nice tight slip fit,now I’m gonna have that welded. I think if I use about a 2’ long piece,having about 6” above the dish an 1 1/2’ below the dish it should be able to slide up and down easy enough. What you think about all this plan? We know once it goes up it will definately slide down,and I think it should slide up easy enough given the fact I’m gonna roll the edges out so as to create a rounded edge where contact would be made.
Dave Duit

Hi David,
It sounds like there is no problem in the housing sliding up and down the pole. The only area to consider would be the weight of the rack and strength of the pole. Schedule 80 is a great choice as it is strong than the schedule 40 pipe. The best way to releave stress on the pole is to not have the pole and rack too high off the ground. Many landlords think that the higher the housing the better the outcome. But, just the opposite is true in the case where wind is involved. I knew one landlord who had his housing 25 feet off the ground; that is simply overkill in my book. I can actually touck the bottom of the gourds with my outstreched hand, so about 8 feet. Short answer is yes, your plans and system should work just fine in my opinion.
PMDavid

Actually Dave I left off a detail or two regarding height. My pulley is at 16’ and the rack will stop about 6” below that,so now we are at 15’-6” ,the satellite graduate a down slope of about 18” to its lowest point (around the outer ring)so now we are at 14’ so then a gourd may hang close to 6” below that and then I have large gourds that may be say 12-14” to the bottom,so we are at a basic all around height of around 13’ from the ground to the hole. Last year with a double level rack the holes fell in at about 15’ for the top gourds and about 13’ for the bottom gourds and the birds readily chose both levels. I think their gonna dig it man!! Hope they bring all their extra friends and fill up 30 gourds! Did you see my starling killer gourd pics I posted last year? It’s a large horizontal with the hole in the very end of the neck. They love it to DEATH! We don’t have but about 3-5,6 may try to get a nest then it’s over. I keep a long bamboo pole layin on the ground and when they go in it I jump up and go poke it in the end,get the ladder and sack and that’s the end of that, caught five last year and never saw another one. Then a Martin took it over and fledged three out of it.
Dave Duit

Thanks for the added information. The height sounds good. The starling trap is a great idea.