Fledgling on the ground

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
abbie
Martin Colony History: Trying to attract martins. They are around but I am battling house sparrows.

Hi, I'm a first year landlord of a very small colony in southern WV (1 nesting pair with one baby, lol). The 27 day old baby fledged today. The problem is that he flew about 30 yards from the nest sight and landed on the ground. He has been on the ground now for approximately 2 hours. The parents are feeding him. Overcast day so sun is not an issue. He stretched his wings quite a bit when he first landed, but now he is pretty still. He occassionally chirps for parents. I'm watching from my porch to keep predators away. Should I interfere? Can he take off from the ground? Should I attempt to put him back in the nest? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.
abbie
Martin Colony History: Trying to attract martins. They are around but I am battling house sparrows.

Happy news! Parents had been landing and feeding, and also circling low and doing "fly-bys" while calling. During one of these fly-bys, baby just stretched his wings and flew up. Parents and one other followed him with lots of noise. He successfully circled my house with the others 3or 4 times. They are out of sight now, but I can occassionally hear them in the distance. I'm so relieved! My first successful fledge, yay!
flyin-lowe

When they are on the ground I think they are big enough to fly and ill pick them up and give them a slight toss. Sometime that's all it takes, if they can't fly after the toss and flutter back to the ground I put them in the cavity they came from or one with similar size babies in in.

Good to know your's was able to get up and going.
2020 Currently 42 nest, 110 babies, 64 eggs left to hatch(6-22-20) HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.
abbie

Good tip. thank you! I'll remember that for next year.