Roosts!!! Wichita, KS

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Rpthomp5

Hello,
PM Roost is simultaneously going on with a Grackle roost! One awesome site :mrgreen: East side Golden Corral Kellogg and Greenwich. Definitely worth seeing!
gotham
Martin Colony History: -Wife's family martin house shore Lake Ontario since 1967.
-2017 martin house taken over by starlings.
-2018 did research and purchased new martin house -Lonestar Alamo aluminum 14 compartment with perching rods and nest trays.
-2019 opened new martin house but frustrating season long battle with wily HOSPs (see posts) and martin visitors but no settlers.
-2020 Covid-19-honored request of locals that seasonal home owners stay away and only reached summer home too late to attempt to start colony. Aiming with determination and hope for next year.

Given that many (most) of us are unable to get there, but would be interested in seeing it, are you able to post a video?
gotham
Rpthomp5

Hi,
Video of PM only is on YouTube Purple Martin Roost Wichita, KS 2020. Unable to load on forum. I'm going to try to get a better video of both birds tonight.
Whippy
Martin Colony History: See Signature

Nice video. I'll bet that's an awesome sight and experience in person.

Thanks for posting it.

Coolwhips
2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - 15 pair, 67 fledged
Rpthomp5

Yes, I've been several times and videos don't do it justice!
gotham
Martin Colony History: -Wife's family martin house shore Lake Ontario since 1967.
-2017 martin house taken over by starlings.
-2018 did research and purchased new martin house -Lonestar Alamo aluminum 14 compartment with perching rods and nest trays.
-2019 opened new martin house but frustrating season long battle with wily HOSPs (see posts) and martin visitors but no settlers.
-2020 Covid-19-honored request of locals that seasonal home owners stay away and only reached summer home too late to attempt to start colony. Aiming with determination and hope for next year.

I did finally view your video on You Tube and enjoyed it-thanks for posting.

I will have to try to find out where the PM's that leave our property (at present more correctly the adjacent property) go to roost before embarking on their migration south. I wonder how one does get that information and will have to investigate.

gotham
Rpthomp5

Hello,
Glad you were able to find videos. You might start with your local Audubon society or equivalent. Take care!