The Erie Roost

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
bwenger
Martin Colony History: Taking care of 11 active public colonies and trying to start two more in northwestern PA. Also attempting to restart another one in southwestern PA, in Collier Township's Hilltop Park. In 2017, not sure what happened but the ASY male returned and then a couple of weeks later he was gone. It could have been weather related. No other birds showed up. I had a starling nesting at the Public site that I had trouble getting rid of.
In 2018, we fledged 629 martins at all of the sites.

Is there any news on the Roost in Erie, PA. Are the numbers building as of this time, or not yet. Does it appear that they are using the new roost or the old roost at the beginning of Presque Isle Bay?

Thanks in advance.
Bill Wenger

Building the Purple Martin population one bird at a time!
BioJoe

not many birds last week at the roost. will be going tomorrow to assess...
PMCA Pres/CEO
Erie, PA
BioJoe

the roost still seems to be in the same location, but does not have many bird yet. when the numbers increase, we'll make a post to social media about it.

J
PMCA Pres/CEO
Erie, PA
bwenger
Martin Colony History: Taking care of 11 active public colonies and trying to start two more in northwestern PA. Also attempting to restart another one in southwestern PA, in Collier Township's Hilltop Park. In 2017, not sure what happened but the ASY male returned and then a couple of weeks later he was gone. It could have been weather related. No other birds showed up. I had a starling nesting at the Public site that I had trouble getting rid of.

I visited the Erie Roost last night with Jeff Hunt and Andrew and Marcus Troyer. We saw about 2,000 birds. A lot were in the reeds and occasionally they would rise up and you could get a good look at them. It's possible that the roost may be delayed since our nesting season was delayed by approximately 2 weeks due to the cold weather in the first half of May.

Hopefully it gets better in the coming days.
Bill Wenger

bwenger

We visited the Erie Roost again this Wednesday. It was a beautiful night and there were about 15 people enjoying the birds. I estimated the number at 5,000, and Adam Troyer came up with approximately the same number.

I think it's difficult to estimate the number of birds at this new roost since a lot of the birds come in from the southern edge and are not easily visible from the main viewing point, the Pier by the Lampe Camp Ground. While using binoculars, you can see large numbers of birds that are practically invisible with the naked eye settling into the reeds. At the old roost at the beginning of Presque Isle Bay, whether viewing from the Erie Water Works parking lot or from the parking lot at the beginning of Presque Isle Bay, the birds would have to fly over the open sky to settle into the roost, so good visibility to see them. Just my thoughts.

We had a pretty good nesting year here in northwest PA this year, so looking forward to next year.
Bill Wenger