Birds come and Go for days, week??

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
sonnya
Martin Colony History: New to it.

Our birds were here and left and was gone for a wek maybe 2 and I then took down the house, now they return and just flutter wings where house was, So, I put the house back up and they returned. Now again they have been gone but again birds return. Are these the same birds?
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

The parents take the chicks out to learn life lessons. They will usually return to the houses just before dark, but not all do. They can come in so fast you don't see them & they leave at day break. Some parents keep the chicks out in trees for a couple weeks. After they've learned life lessons the parents usually bring the chicks back to the houses before they leave for roost. So it's best to let your houses up for a bit until they have left for roost & migration.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
bwenger
Martin Colony History: Taking care of 11 active public colonies and trying to start two more in northwestern PA. Also attempting to restart another one in southwestern PA, in Collier Township's Hilltop Park. In 2017, not sure what happened but the ASY male returned and then a couple of weeks later he was gone. It could have been weather related. No other birds showed up. I had a starling nesting at the Public site that I had trouble getting rid of.
In 2018, we fledged 629 martins at all of the sites.

It's probably good to leave your housing up for a month or month and a half after they fledge. They should return for 10 days to 20 days after they fledge, during the day at times and then at night. You may even have family groups from other nearby colonies showing up at your place and checking it out. The young may be imprinting your location into their brains to come back next year and possibly nest at your location. Some martin landlords even say that after the birds have been vacant from the site for a week or two, that they seem to show up and fly around making all kind of noise, and kind of say 'Goodbye and thanks for providing them a safe place to nest'.
Bill Wenger

Building the Purple Martin population one bird at a time!
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

sonnya,
My Father's last colony was in Oenaville, TX. Small world.
Leave your housing up until September 1st.
Every time I have tried to take the martin's housing down early, they come back to visit. As you pointed out, they will circle where the housing was so I know it was not an accident.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at my Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”.
2019 Success at my home Site "Little Hocking, Ohio".

,,,,, Our Baby Martins fledged on the 30 of July ,, and they have come back ever night, just before dark.. They have come back for 12 nights in a row... Now they have gone for good this year.. Looking forward to seeing them again in the Spring...

Dave
Home Site “Little Hocking, Ohio”
2010 / 2018 -- Lots of Visitors
2019 — 1 Pair, 5 Eggs, 5 Babies, 5 fledged. :wink:
2020 — 1 Pair, 4 Eggs, 4 Babies, 4 fledged. :wink:
2021 — Waiting on March 2021

Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
2018 -- 15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
2019 — 26 Pair, 128 Eggs, 99 Babies and 97 Fledged. :wink:
2020 — 30 Pair, 156 Eggs, 137 Babies and 137 Fledged. :wink:
2021 — Waiting on March 2021

PMCA Member