Nest check yestrerday, three gourds with mites (and a question)

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
johncanfield

I'll update my old thread about my nest check recording I started May 19 but I have a question for you Martin landlords. Out of 12 gourds, 8 have chicks and of those 8 with chicks, 3 have mites. Early afternoon yesterday I treated the gourds with 5% Sevin (about 1/4 teaspoon between the gourd wall and nest). On one of them I placed a little bit of dust under the tunnel entrance.

I looked at the affected gourds this morning with binocs standing close to the gourds and I didn't see any movement of the mites on the outside of the white gourds (these are $400 binocs.) One of the gourds was literally covered with mites yesterday but I don't see any movement of the black dots this morning. It seems like they died on the outside in place.

Sorry about the long winded introduction - how long does it take for the Sevin to work? Am I wishful thinking they died in less than 12 hours? :?:
John
JJ Ranch
Texas Hill Country
EarlG

Yes, it works for me in a lot less than 12 hours. You did good in taking care of the problem.
2020 24 Pair, 126 Eggs, 114 Hatched, 112 Fledged
2019 24 Pair, 130 Eggs, 102 Hatched, 83 Fledged
2018 20 Pair, 121 Eggs, 87 Hatched, 86 Fledged
2017 16 Pair, 93 Eggs, 87 Hatched, 86 Fledged
2016 23 Pair, 122 Eggs, 107 Hatched, 101 Fledged
2015 16 Pair, 82 Eggs, 70 Hatched, 68 Fledged
2014 11 Pair, 38 Fledged
2013 1 Pair, 5 Fledged
johncanfield

Thanks Earl!
John
JJ Ranch
Texas Hill Country
John Barrow

A small amount of sevin sprinkled around the perimeter of a nest, or tapped underneath it, will kill the mites within 24 hours. The suggestion that I would add: If you are treating a gourd rack or a house, if one cavity has mites assume that all other cavities do too. Active mites are capable of traveling compartment to compartment in a house and from gourd to gourd along hanging arms. Adding Sevin is quick and easy. Treat every cavity on the system. Another tip: If you have older (23+ doa) nestlings in a cavity, place the Sevin in through the entrance and drop it in the front of the cavity off to either side, without opening house or gourd doors or ports.
~~TEAMED WITH A MARTIN GODDESS~~

Member/Mentor-PMCA. I do regular nestchecks and participate in PROJECT MARTINWATCH!! Coordinated 3 geolocator studies-2009, 2010 & 2013. State and Fed licensed bander (retired Jan., 2020)
Whippy
Martin Colony History: See Signature

John,

As Earl said it works pretty quick.

I pre-nest every year and put Sevin under the pre-nest material. Last year I had one gourd with mites so I treated accordingly and all was fine. This year I've not had to re-treat any of the gourds so the pre-nesting treatment took care of everything they brought with them. My gourds are currently fledging and I have healthy babies flying all over the place. On the gourds that don't have nests they have been and are being visited by SY birds who are then being treated as a result.

If you didn't treat the the gourds without nests it wouldn't hurt to treat them on the next nest check. If SY birds visit those you'll be doing them a favor.

Glad everything is working out.

If you have already done all of that, please disregard.

Coolwhips
2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - 15 pair, 67 fledged
johncanfield

Thank you again guys! I should have thought about treating all of the gourds - good point. I'll do a nest check and treat the other gourds and do the tunnels today. The chicks are between three and four weeks old. My first hatch was about 5-22, by 6-1 all but one set of eggs hatched.
John
JJ Ranch
Texas Hill Country