Big influx of SY in Iowa.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Hey everyone,
Wow !!!!! talk about a huge increase in SY arrivals in Iowa. Several of our members have reported to me that they are seeing a big jump in the numbers of SY. At my location in central Iowa I had 20 new SY arrive in one day. Keep a lookout everyone for the SY arrivals in your neck of the woods. Also, a reminder that eggs are starting to appear in Iowa. The rains and humidity are ramping up, so when you do your weekly nest checks it might be wise to keep a sharp eye toward possible mites. I know they usually start showing a soon as the eggs hatch, but they do and can show up with the adults.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.