Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: 2018 1 lone nut and lots of visitors
2019 6 pair -21fledged
2020 18 pair -60 fledged
2021......to be seen.
24 natural gourds on a satellite rack,9 other gourds scattered around
2-12 compartment trio houses
Rarely see a sparrow or starling,but when I do they don’t last long!
Will have a second satellite rack for the 2022 season and phase out the houses,the martins here strongly prefer natural gourds.

Doug,just in the two pair now have their own personalities. The pair in the house....the male wants to retire early and the female stays out as long as possible. Drives him nuts! He’ll mock dive ,land and call,and all the while she just floats overhead,he will land and take back off to get her so many times it makes me tired. She’s not going off away, just floating overhead. Finally she’ll make one approach and goes in and he’s right on her skirt tail. The other pair seem to co ordinate to retire together at the same time,making a couple of setup passes and then both at once shoot into their gourd. That other smaller one flys like a little hot rod,hope he’s still there this evening. 3:30 wont be here soon enough.
Doug Martin - PA
Martin Colony History: First pair in 2009 after 28 years of trying. 3 pairs 2010, 17 pairs 2011 and 35-45 pairs since. Many additional colonies are now springing up around mine in an area once completely void of Martins. I offer 50 compartments at my site consisting of primarily Excluder II gourds on Gemini racks. Also a wooden T-14. I utilize electric fence type predator guards on the base of the poles. Supplemental feeding is crucial in maintaining my colony. I platform feed throughout the season as needed. My site tends to be a stop over point for additional birds as they migrate further north.

HahA Tis the season!!
Supplemental feeding plays a major role in western Pennsylvania. Finally got my 1st pair in 2009 after 28 years of effort. 3 pairs in 2010. 17 pairs in 2011. 35 pairs and 150 young in 2012 & 2013. Plus a new 22 pair colony right down the road from me.
PMDavid
2019 6 pair -21fledged
2020 18 pair -60 fledged
2021......to be seen.
Will have a second satellite rack for the 2022 season and phase out the houses,the martins here strongly prefer natural gourds.

Well guys,still got five birds! Thought I was gonna have six this evening. That small male(named him hot rod)was trying really hard to entice a female in at plumb dark. They both dived down through the housing several times. He finally ducked into a gourd ,it was so dark I think she thought he left out and left her because she took off for the neighbors three doors down. She may just need a bit more whooooin to come stay. Maybe he’ll handle up on that tomorrow and bring her home. Ok a question for all the gurus.........these two pairs are returning every night but some nights they sleep in separate gourds,is that common? Some nights they get in the same compartment or gourd and some they don’t. Normal or not?
bwenger
Martin Colony History: Taking care of 11 active public colonies and trying to start two more in northwestern PA. Also attempting to restart another one in southwestern PA, in Collier Township's Hilltop Park. In 2017, not sure what happened but the ASY male returned and then a couple of weeks later he was gone. It could have been weather related. No other birds showed up. I had a starling nesting at the Public site that I had trouble getting rid of.
In 2018, we fledged 629 martins at all of the sites.

Hi David,

Congratulations on your birds spending the night. They could be doing this strange stuff for a week or two until they start to get serious about pairing up. But once you have birds spending the night, they should be hooked to your site at this time. Make sure you don't allow any other birds to start trying to nest in your martin housing. They could chase your females away. Do you feel that you have some females?

Bill in Northwest PA
Bill Wenger

Building the Purple Martin population one bird at a time!
PMDavid
2019 6 pair -21fledged
2020 18 pair -60 fledged
2021......to be seen.

Hi Bill ,yes I absolutely have two males and two females and one loose male. I thought today he was gonna get a female. He had one lookin and they dove through the housing several times and he finally ducked into a gourd. It was so dark I think the female thought he flew off ,and she headed for the neighbors colony. She may just need some additional courting. He may get her tomorrow. These pairs have been here since Saturday morning. They continue to separate themselves from the neighbors birds every afternoon and come home.
deancamp

I have only had birds for a couple years now, so really can't say if that is normal or not. What I have seen is that the pair will go in the same gourd together every night. I have seen some go into different gourds as a couple as if they can't decide which one to chiose.
Jeff
PMDavid
2019 6 pair -21fledged
2020 18 pair -60 fledged
2021......to be seen.

Good morning Jeff,well the once I’ve seen each pair do this has been when they were crowded on landing . One would be too close on the others tail at touchdown and make another pass and actually land in the gourd next to that one. Who knows ,they have hopped on in with the other one after I had gone in. They do all seem quite locked in to my site though. Can’t wait till this evening to see if the hot rod gets that female to come on in.
deancamp

Gotcha, I think that will all work out. I also think Hot Rod will get the girl. Seriously, how long can a girl ignore a guy with a name like that.
Jeff
PMDavid
2019 6 pair -21fledged
2020 18 pair -60 fledged
2021......to be seen.

Well poooh! NO hot rod yesterday. And something else strange...it’s not cold but I saw three martins go in one gourd and didn’t notice a fourth bird. I think I saw 2 females and one male go into one gourd. I had seen a male go in one on the backside( which would make four)early but not sure if he stayed there. I really don’t know if there were my two pairs there or one was missing. It’ll be a long day until I get home this evening and try to see again who shows at dark. Hoping for the best.
flyin-lowe

I remember being in your shoes and worrying about getting some to say. I would often say if I could just get a colony started then I won't have to sit and wander/worry any more. Then you get a colony and a knew set of issues come up. Predators, jumpers, mites, etc. so it won't get any easier..... :grin:
2020 Currently 42 nest, 110 babies, 64 eggs left to hatch(6-22-20) HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.
PMDavid
2019 6 pair -21fledged
2020 18 pair -60 fledged
2021......to be seen.

Roger that Lowe,I think they are still on for the gig,probably just missed something. I’m gonna take a chill pill and just enjoy what ever is going on. Hot Rod has skipped a day before so he show up again we’ll see.
PMDavid
2019 6 pair -21fledged
2020 18 pair -60 fledged
2021......to be seen.

Well .....I’m not totally sure but I think there were six birds come to roost last night. With all the in and out of the males landing and leaving to keep up with hens,it’s like ok..two in one out two more in three out one back in.....by the time it’s all done your brain is swirling! I think it was six. So the next thing is this. How do you pretty well see six go in and sit there till black dark ,but can only manage to one leave in the morning? Are they gone before daylight ? I was out there in the dark this morning and only ever saw one leave. Wiz up with that? Lowe,Brent ,Dave,RR.,dean,pmlover..etc........
PMDavid
2019 6 pair -21fledged
2020 18 pair -60 fledged
2021......to be seen.

Well for you guys that have helped me and been following.........the hot rod must have put the hammer down and hauled it elsewhere,but I still have my two pair! I have two trio grandpaw,one Coates 16 hole and 22 gourds. My neighbor said.....”those gourds are killin ya” guess what they’re all in? Yep you guessed it ,all gourds. I ain’t even gonna say nothin to him. He’s extremely old school and thinks my gourds are nonsense. I may store a house next year and enhance the gourd situation. It obvious to me what they prefer!
deancamp

Sorry to hear about Hot Rod. Congrats on the 2 pair hanging in there. I tried for lots of years using the metal housing, moving them to different locations, etc.. I had decided I wasn't going to give up and I liked the look of the gourd racks. If no birds came, I would always have my gourds to look at. The first year with the gourds they showed up and would fly right by the house as if it wasn't there. Last year some chose the house, as well.
PMDavid
2019 6 pair -21fledged
2020 18 pair -60 fledged
2021......to be seen.

Hey dean, I like the gourds also. It’s neat to make em all up. I think next year I’m gonna convert some to horizontal gourds. I have one that I made be horizontal and one pair chose it out of 22 others. I think I’ll keep the two grandpaw and convert those over to enlarged compartments. Thanks for your reply. Hope all y’alls birds up there are showing up for ya.
deancamp

I have a young colony, so none show up real early. I do have an ASY female back but she doesn't hang around much. The others should be coming any day. They are a lot more fun after the group is here watching them interact.
PMDavid
2019 6 pair -21fledged
2020 18 pair -60 fledged
2021......to be seen.

Well ,my two pair continue to come home everyday and you can see the bond growing. They wait for one another or go out and find the other when it’s bedtime and retire together,both pairs are exhibiting this. And SURPRISE......since “hot rod” put the hammer down and left a week ago or so he apparently has been swinging his hammer cause he’s back with a female! So here on my first year of fully set up trying trying to attract some martins I now have three pair! How lucky is that. I go out everyday at bed time and watch em all come and do a count. Hope when they start topping off their nest with sticks and stuff I catch that too . Good luck all .....
Robert

Haven’t heard any updates lately PMDavid how are your birds are they still coming in ?
Robert , South Carolina
PMCA member
40 year PM landlord
2018 season
21 pairs 107 eggs 99 fledged
2019 season
23 pairs 122 eggs 105 fledged
2020 season
23 pairs 122 eggs 72 fledged
PMDavid
2019 6 pair -21fledged
2020 18 pair -60 fledged
2021......to be seen.

Well hello again Robert and Dean, I haven’t posted lately because every one up north has had a lot going on with their birds arriving. But I got lots of news for y’all! The hot rod and all the others have continued to reside here. And....if y’all have read all the post along the way of others,about 10-11 days ago or so it was posted about all the new landfalls in corpus christy . Well some of those youngsters(sy) have passed this way and I have since gotten at least two more pair that have stayed and been seen in the last few days carrying in mud ,sticks etc. In the last two days there has been a flood of young sy birds swarm in all over my set up and it appears that there is even a sixth pair. They seem to have closed a gourd on the rack and go to it all day ,the same one I believe last night I caught em goin in at dark . It’s such a flurry of birds at times you just can’t keep up with em all at once! From all indications though it seems they are gonna stay also. So..... how lucky can I get man!!!!! Five solid pair and pretty darn sure on the sixth in my first fully set up year! What a success. So far over this weekend I have witnessed 5pr with nesting activity,so those are solid. I would anticipate the sixth ones to follow suit in the next few days to a week,they seem pretty decided to stay. Thanks guys for checking in on me,and I hope y’all season is progressing well also.
David.
flyin-lowe

Thats great. I still remember the first time I opened a cavity and saw the first egg. That is when I finally exhaled and realized they were going to stay. I have a feeling your numbers will climb quickly the next couple of years.
2020 Currently 42 nest, 110 babies, 64 eggs left to hatch(6-22-20) HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.