Our Mission in Retrospect

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
phldave
Martin Colony History: Started trying in 2012 and still trying

Our Mission in Retrospect

Postby phldave » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:46 am

Gang,
A couple weeks ago I watched the Eagles of Decorah on public TV. Wow, what a powerful story. This kind of centered around one man's (Mr. Anderson) dedication to these majestic birds. This makes our job of caring for Purple Martin's seem not quite so labor intensive. The original nest was blown down in a wind storm, and they built a man made nest nearby to where the old one was, and the Eagles accepted it. Amazing! If they can do that for Eagles, we should be able to build sites all over the place for PM's. Food for thought. Come on folks we can do this!
Dave
2012 late start
2013 nothing yet, lots a lookers
2014 Bust again
2015 Bust again
2016 Bust again
2017 Bust again
2018 April 14 a group joined me, but moved on after a week

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.

Re: Our Mission in Retrospect

Postby PMDavid » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:23 am

Phldave, I almost choked when I read your post! Your” food for thought”strikes home with me dude. I think I’ll go next door to the rat bird landlord and ask to erect a house and gourds! I have an extra in the shed...WOW.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”