Demanding Martins

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Sharon - Central TX

Demanding Martins

Postby Sharon - Central TX » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:30 pm

We have two poles set up with Troyer gourds. Yesterday morning our first martin of the season arrived and wanted in one of the gourds on Pole 2. We had yet to open the entrances so hubby rushed out and opened three entrances including the one the martin seemed to want. She, yes a female, flew off and we didn’t see her again unless she slipped in unnoticed.
This morning we had a pair visit. Maybe it was the same female and she found a mate. Who knows :grin:. They checked out all the entrances on Pole 2 then went to Pole 1 where we had not opened any yet. They really wanted to go into one of those. So hubby rushed out to open an entrance on Pole 1. In the meantime the pair flew to Pole 2 and sat together on the shade cloth watching him. It was so funny because they knew exactly which one they wanted and acted like they were supervising my husband. As soon as he finished and raised the rack they flew back to Pole 1 and checked out the open gourd. Happy with the results they flew off, staying in the area catching bugs.
It will be interesting to see if they return this evening and which gourd they choose, especially after they gave such detailed instructions :lol:

mjfog
Martin Colony History: 2018 will be my first try. 6 S&K B9s. 29 eggs - 8 fledged
2019 -

Re: Demanding Martins

Postby mjfog » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:30 pm

Sharon - What a warm, joyful and entertaining post! Made me smile. There's so much anticipation to each martin season and that certainly was expressed in your post. I was walking towards my two unoccupied colonies (one six and the second 30 gourds) today around noon and heard that unmistakable martin liquid, burbling song plus a couple of "shrecks". Looked up and saw three martins over my property and as close as 100 feet from my colonies. Sat in my Adirondack chair next to my colonies at around 3:30 this evening, binoculars in hand, expecting my first visitors. Gave up at 5.45 PM. No luck. Maybe tomorrow. Have a successful season. Mike

mjfog
Martin Colony History: 2018 will be my first try. 6 S&K B9s. 29 eggs - 8 fledged
2019 -

Postby mjfog » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:37 pm

Whoops. My second colony is 24 gourds, not 30.

Sharon - Central TX

Postby Sharon - Central TX » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:06 pm

They didn’t disappoint. Came in at 5:50 this evening and did go into the gourd they told hubby they wanted. Too cute.

Sharon - Central TX

Postby Sharon - Central TX » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:21 pm

Mike,
Over the years we’ve found our martins are nowhere to be seen in the late afternoon, usually between 3:00-5:00 P.M. They are usually off somewhere finding food. I’ll bet yours will be back. They slip in so fast in the evening and if you aren’t staring at their entrance at just the right time, you miss them. I parked myself on a chair where I could see everything about ten minutes before I thought they would come in for the night.
Good luck and here’s hoping for a great season.
Sharon

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”