REPORTING SCOUTS

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Glynn B - LA

REPORTING SCOUTS

Postby Glynn B - LA » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:55 am

It’s the same issues every season that some Scout arrival reports never get posted to be counted or they are posted much later to be relavent. I wish this site would create and monitor a ongoing thread for just reporting Scout only arrivals. Posts from this exclusive Scout only thread could easily be addressed by monitors each day. Once a report is confirmed and then posted by said monitor, it then would be deleted from this exclusive thread. Don’t give me the excuse that its not possible! I am so disappointed in the PMCA for not already addressing easily every year, one of its sites biggest complaints! This should be one the most exciting times during a season for a PMCA member and the PMCA combined. Instead it is usually one of the most frustrating. When are you people going to get this fixed? It’s the same crap every single year. This is the only site that I personally have had the most difficult time navigating, be it shopping, reading, searching etc. This is the only site that requires one to have two different passwords to effectively use the site. I have many times passed on purchasing from the PMCA because I don’t want to have to deal with all the issues that always pop up. You people need to understand that most of your members are up in age and do not understand sites with all the complicated crap! If this site format is the best that the PMCA now has to offer, then I would suggest you seek help from another site builder who better understands the internet navigation abilities of a older user. I so want to fully support the PMCA via this site but you make it difficult at best, your site totally sucks! If you ban me from your site for me speaking my mind, I’ll live! I will also continue to support the PMCA and my passion purple martins.

Glynn
2018 20 pair 76 fledged
2017 19 pair 82 fledged
2016 13 pair 48 fledged
2015 3 pair 13 fledged
2014 1 pair 4 fledged
2013 2 pair 6 fledged
2012 0 pair
2011 0 pair

I don’t have the perfect site. One open flyway with trees within 80 ft. I do have a small pond they utilize during the heat of Summer. (2017) HEAVY HAWK PREDATION

Emil Pampell-Tx

Re: REPORTING SCOUTS

Postby Emil Pampell-Tx » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:49 pm

I have 4 martins, but don't know how to report them. It formerly was easy, now I cannot figure the way to do it
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps

BioJoe

Postby BioJoe » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:12 pm

Glynn. We're sorry for the frustration that you're feeling.

Since the 2015 redesign, we have spent countless hours streamlining the user experience. There are certainly more changes that can be made and that are being planned. Unfortunately, as a non-profit, our funding is limited. To put it frankly, modern websites are endlessly complicated behind the scenes and expensive to update and maintain. We appreciate any constructive feedback that our users offer us.

Regarding the scout reports sometimes being delayed: We have an internal queue that holds the earliest and latest reports for each state until we can verify their accuracy. This prevents the hundreds of false reports we receive from being placed on the map creating confusion. This year, we're dealing with another issue in that Google Maps (the service we use for the mapping) has changed their internal codes and caught us off guard. We are now having to manually enter the GPS coordinates for each report until we get it fixed (which should be this coming week). We have a small staff and like to spend time with our families on the weekend. So, there are delays in between the times we check in and manually tend to the map. Your report was submitted at 2:24 pm today. I looked at 7:30pm and a staffer had already placed it on the map by then.

We have no reason to ban you from our site. We only ask that you give us an opportunity to help you with the issues you're having. We're available M-F 8-4 and frequently work on the weekends as well. Send us an email, give us a call. Let us help you so you don't have to suffer with the "same crap every year" and so we can make the website "totally suck" less for you.

Joe Siegrist, PMCA President

Glynn B - LA

Postby Glynn B - LA » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:38 am

[quote="Emil Pampell-Tx" post_id=282351 time=1549154987 user_id=13]
I have 4 martins, but don't know how to report them. It formerly was easy, now I cannot figure the way to do it
[/quote]

Mr. Emil, go ahead and post the arrival date for your first martin this season! I’m sure BioJoe will make your experience totally suck less by personally admitting your 2019 arrival date!

BioJoe, Mr Emil Pampell has been posting on this site years before me, he and I alone aren’t the only ones that have been frustrated with this site!

BioJoe, you didn’t address the why two different password logins!

Glynn
2018 20 pair 76 fledged
2017 19 pair 82 fledged
2016 13 pair 48 fledged
2015 3 pair 13 fledged
2014 1 pair 4 fledged
2013 2 pair 6 fledged
2012 0 pair
2011 0 pair

I don’t have the perfect site. One open flyway with trees within 80 ft. I do have a small pond they utilize during the heat of Summer. (2017) HEAVY HAWK PREDATION

Emil Pampell-Tx

Postby Emil Pampell-Tx » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:14 am

I saw about 4 martins come in real late (5:55 pm, nearly dark on Feb 1). They went in so fast I could not get an accurate count. My address is 5318 Willow Way, Richmond, Texas 77406

When I tried to submit a report, I put in the desired info (name, address, etc) and click on continue, it would go back to my address, sort of like going in a circle, I never could submit the report
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps

Forum Admin
Site Admin

Postby Forum Admin » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:57 am

The forum uses a specialized message board software. Because of this dedicated software, the username/password databases cannot be the same. During the 2015 redesign we were able to keep the same forum software which allowed us to transfer the entire Forum over, including posts and user information, intact. This includes well over a decade’s worth of posts and invaluable information that was able to be carried over, which we felt was crucial.

You are able to use the same username and password on the Forum as you do on the Website, however the accounts will not be linked. Your username on the Website can also be Glynn B - LA and use the same password as the forum. If you’d like your Website username and password to match, give us a call or send us an email and we’ll be happy to help. Because the accounts are not linked though, if you manually change your username or password on one site, it will not automatically switch. So if you request a new password when submitting your scout report, your Forum password will not be changed. You can manually change over your Forum password to match, or let us know and we’ll change it for you.

Emil—thank you for letting us know why your report wouldn’t submit, we’re looking into it. We’ve entered your scout report into the system and it is now showing online.
Forum Administrator
Purple Martin Conservation Association - Please consider becoming a member of the PMCA.

Glynn B - LA

Postby Glynn B - LA » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:30 pm

Thank you for helping Mr. Emil with his 2019 first martin arrival date...I also want to thank you for the login and password explanation...

Glynn
2018 20 pair 76 fledged
2017 19 pair 82 fledged
2016 13 pair 48 fledged
2015 3 pair 13 fledged
2014 1 pair 4 fledged
2013 2 pair 6 fledged
2012 0 pair
2011 0 pair

sugarcreek
Martin Colony History: 2016 First Yr.

Postby sugarcreek » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:18 pm

Its what I did last yr. Called Them and my username and password is now the same for both!!!! Frustration gone. :grin: :!: :!: :grin:
2016 - 1st Yr. 14 Compartments 4 Active Nests 9 fledged, 2.25 Fledged per Active Nest
2017 - 2nd Yr. 36 Compartments 18 Active Nests 65 Fledged, 3.61 Fledged per Active Nest
2018 - 3rd Yr. 54 Compartments 43 Active Nests 169 Fledged, 3.93 Fledged per Active Nest
2019 - 4th Yr. 108 Compartments ??

Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at Satilite Site.

Postby Dave Reynolds » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:42 pm

BigJoe —-. Thanks for helping those make their Scout Reports.. I logged on to the two different sites, and then used the option to change my password. I changed the passwords to be the same on both sites and now I have no trouble.. Easier to remember one password then two..

Thanks again for all you do...

Dave
Home Site
2018 — Lots of Visitors
2019 -- First pair, nest building, no eggs yet

Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
2019 -- 9 Pair, 41 eggs, so far !!!
2018 — 15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
PMCA Member

-=DKC=-
Martin Colony History: ................
2019: 11 pairs
2018: 11 pairs - 43 fledged
2017: 4 pairs - 17 fledged

Postby -=DKC=- » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:33 pm

Speaking as someone who has been doing web development and programming for the last 15 years or so, I think it's better to keep ecommerce and forum logins separate. Yes, it's a little more hassle for the user, but it saves countless hours of work whenever the forum or store need to be upgraded. That translates to lots of money saved. And in my opinion, it's more secure to keep ecommerce databases separate anyway.
"If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' till you do succeed." - Curly Howard

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”