Went from zero to hero today!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
RJM

My first regulars arrived yesterday. Two males. Returned home this evening and have 7 total birds. At least two females in the bunch.
Trying since 2006, started hosting in 2012
T14 with 4 THG and 4 modified SG's
Gourd rack with 3 TVG's and 3 modified SG's
bwenger
Martin Colony History: Taking care of 11 active public colonies and trying to start two more in northwestern PA. Also attempting to restart another one in southwestern PA, in Collier Township's Hilltop Park. In 2017, not sure what happened but the ASY male returned and then a couple of weeks later he was gone. It could have been weather related. No other birds showed up. I had a starling nesting at the Public site that I had trouble getting rid of.
In 2018, we fledged 629 martins at all of the sites.

RJM,

Congratulations on your returning birds!

Bill
Bill Wenger

Building the Purple Martin population one bird at a time!
Doug Martin - PA
Martin Colony History: First pair in 2009 after 28 years of trying. 3 pairs 2010, 17 pairs 2011 and 35-45 pairs since. Many additional colonies are now springing up around mine in an area once completely void of Martins. I offer 50 compartments at my site consisting of primarily Excluder II gourds on Gemini racks. Also a wooden T-14. I utilize electric fence type predator guards on the base of the poles. Supplemental feeding is crucial in maintaining my colony. I platform feed throughout the season as needed. My site tends to be a stop over point for additional birds as they migrate further north.

Not sure how many more came in here but an extra handful or more here too this evening before the cold front turned them in for the night early. Saw at least 7 at one point. They were hungry and a little rough looking.
Supplemental feeding plays a major role in western Pennsylvania. Finally got my 1st pair in 2009 after 28 years of effort. 3 pairs in 2010. 17 pairs in 2011. 35 pairs and 150 young in 2012 & 2013. Plus a new 22 pair colony right down the road from me.
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Congrats RJM. Hope you have a great season.

I got up to 1.5 inches of snow. Once the winds shifted & it warmed up it all melted. I had a 2nd ASY Male arrive around 6:30 PM. Even tho it had warmed to 53 we still had that cold wind blowing. I flipped crickets. At first he stayed back, but he finally joined in & got a few before it got too dark for them to see the crickets flying by. They both went for a good 20 minute fly & then tucked in for the night.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

That’s is great for the first day! Good luck :)
Sharon from southern Illinois
Dale D
Martin Colony History: Landlord since 2004

Congratulations! Wish the best for 2018!
Orlando, FL Landlord since 2004
Offer 42 Cavities Total