Presque Isle Roost in Erie PA

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
bwenger
Martin Colony History: Taking care of 11 active public colonies and trying to start two more in northwestern PA. Also attempting to restart another one in southwestern PA, in Collier Township's Hilltop Park. In 2017, not sure what happened but the ASY male returned and then a couple of weeks later he was gone. It could have been weather related. No other birds showed up. I had a starling nesting at the Public site that I had trouble getting rid of.
In 2018, we fledged 629 martins at all of the sites.

Does anyone have any information on how the Purple Martin roost is progressing? I would think that it is growing each day! Any estimates on the number of birds there yet?

Thanks in advance!

Bill Wenger
Bill Wenger

Building the Purple Martin population one bird at a time!
BioJoe

just got back from the roost. only a few thousand tonight. cloudy sunset, not great conditions. They were using the nothernmost island instead of the one closest to sommerheim that they usually use.
PMCA Pres/CEO
Erie, PA
bwenger
Martin Colony History: Taking care of 11 active public colonies and trying to start two more in northwestern PA. Also attempting to restart another one in southwestern PA, in Collier Township's Hilltop Park. In 2017, not sure what happened but the ASY male returned and then a couple of weeks later he was gone. It could have been weather related. No other birds showed up. I had a starling nesting at the Public site that I had trouble getting rid of.

Thanks Joe for the update.

I know of a group of people headed up to Beach 11 and the roost tomorrow night. I was going to head up this evening to meet an Amish landlord from Indiana, PA, but that fell through. I'll try and get up there another time.

Bill
Bill Wenger

sugarcreek
Martin Colony History: 2016 First Yr.

How long will this Roost be active in Erie PA...?

Would love to make the trip but can't this weekend...?
2016 - 1st Yr. 14 Compartments 4 Active Nests 9 fledged, 2.25 Fledged per Active Nest
2017 - 2nd Yr. 36 Compartments 18 Active Nests 65 Fledged, 3.61 Fledged per Active Nest
2018 - 3rd Yr. 54 Compartments 43 Active Nests 169 Fledged, 3.93 Fledged per Active Nest
2019 - 4th Yr. 108 Compartments 67 Active Nests 209 Fledged, 3.12 Fledged per Active Nest
2020 - 5th Yr. 108 Compartments 72 Active Nests 243 Fledged, 3.38 Fledged per Active Nest
bwenger

The roost should be on the upswing, and should last another week or two. I may be able to post an update once Andrew Troyer sees the roost tonight.

I'll let you know what he says tomorrow!

Bill Wenger
Bill Wenger

sugarcreek

bwenger wrote:The roost should be on the upswing, and should last another week or two. I may be able to post an update once Andrew Troyer sees the roost tonight.

I'll let you know what he says tomorrow!

Bill Wenger
Morning Bill

Would kind of like to know what you found out...?
2016 - 1st Yr. 14 Compartments 4 Active Nests 9 fledged, 2.25 Fledged per Active Nest
2017 - 2nd Yr. 36 Compartments 18 Active Nests 65 Fledged, 3.61 Fledged per Active Nest
2018 - 3rd Yr. 54 Compartments 43 Active Nests 169 Fledged, 3.93 Fledged per Active Nest
2019 - 4th Yr. 108 Compartments 67 Active Nests 209 Fledged, 3.12 Fledged per Active Nest
2020 - 5th Yr. 108 Compartments 72 Active Nests 243 Fledged, 3.38 Fledged per Active Nest
bwenger

Hello,

The roost was disappointing. They estimated only about 1 to 2,000 birds at the roost. They could hear 4 GHO's hollering from different areas. Andy Troyer thought that it could have been a pair of parents and two young owls.

The question is can 4 owls keep a whole roost from developing which normally consists of 30-40,000 birds, sometimes even larger.

If I hear of any new updates, I will let you know!

Bill
Bill Wenger

bwenger

Any updates on the Presque Isle Roost?

Hopefully the martins are starting to use it. We would hope that a couple of GHO's would not force them to go elsewhere!

I still have two martins spending the night. I believe they are from two different nesting pairs, since they have been using two different gourds, and the same gourds each night. One fledged in a group of 6 birds, the other bird was from a nest of 4 young. This leads to the idea that the family group breaks up shortly after fledging. This is about 3 1/2 weeks after they fledged.

Bill
Bill Wenger

BioJoe

Just when I was ready to give up, it began showing up on radar. It seems to be somewhere else on the peninsula. We're going to do a coordinated hunt for the location early next week.
PMCA Pres/CEO
Erie, PA
BioJoe

There are always owls at the roost, by the way. I wouldn't attribute this movement to a few owls...although I really can't say what the reason is. Once we figure out how martins think, this will all be a lot easier. :grin:
PMCA Pres/CEO
Erie, PA
bwenger

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the update. If you find anything else out about the roost, can you let us know. I know some people are watching this post to see if it is worthwhile to head up to Erie to see the roost.

Thanks again,

Bill
Bill Wenger

BioJoe

https://www.facebook.com/PurpleMartinCo ... 4074960087

The roost finally began to build middle of last week. It's in the cattails SE of the Vista 3 Parking lot.
PMCA Pres/CEO
Erie, PA
sugarcreek

Are there any still around? And how long do they normally hang around before heading south?
Forum Admin
Site Admin

A few of the staff went Monday night and while the weather was a little overcast but that didn't deter the martins—they put on a great show! The roost will stay active for another few weeks, however the large numbers should start dwindling soon.
Forum Administrator
Purple Martin Conservation Association - Please consider becoming a member of the PMCA.
sugarcreek

Thanks , Heading up this coming weekend
JohnC

Our TV tower and antenna seem to be providing a mini-roost. We are located almost due north of Erie, PA on the north shore of Lake Erie. Just when I thought all the martins had left, I noticed about six up there this morning, September 4. (I have counted up to 80 at peak times). I assume that our "mini roost" is a just a stop-over before the birds set out across the lake to the main Erie roost. (but then who knows what martins really do?) :?:

John C.
Haldimand County, Ontario, Canada.