Insecticides for mites

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
tbone8705

Has anyone ever used Diatomaceous for their cavities? Are what does everyone use for mite control.
Chris B

I put a little seven dust in the pine straw I pre-nest with. I don't think PMs have mites, but they get them from the trash birds that invade. I watch one ASY male splashing pretty aggressively into my pond and wondered if he was trying to shed mites.
2014 8 gourds, 3 pairs nested. Ended w/ 24 total
2015 24 gourds, 22 nests. Lotsa birds!
2016 24 gourds and good activity.
2017 32 SREH gourds. Great activity.
2018 40 SREH gourds. Good finish despite big storm damage. No more dangling gourds.
2019 56+ SREH gourds, all on 3/8 rods. Birds did very well.
2020 56 SREH gourds.
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

tbone8705 wrote:Has anyone ever used Diatomaceous for their cavities? Are what does everyone use for mite control.
They don't recommend it, as the chicks can inhale it & it can cause lung damage. Most use Sevin powder. Sprinle 1/8-1/4 teaspoon under the nesting material.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
Robbo

Sevin does wonders, mites, blow flies and whatever they get. I have not lost any to parasites once I started using it. Watching and waiting :grin:
2009. 98 eggs, 66 hatch, 61 fledged.
2010. 114 eggs, 89 hatch,70 fledged.
2011. 96 eggs. 80 hatch,68 fledged.Heavy Merlin preditation.
2012. 89 eggs. 56 hatch, good fledge. Guards installed. Merlin not sighted at houses.
2013. First Egg May 24, first Baby June 13.
2014. successful.
2015. successful.
2016. Martin's population decline, suspect new housing in the neighborhood. Merlin eating well also!
2017.Population explosion :grin: . first egg May 25 in a BO-11
2018. Population stable.
tbone8705

Ok I was just wondering what was the best to have on hand if it happens, thanks for all the input.
flyin-lowe

I put a little Seven under each nest a day or two before the eggs are due to start hatching. This has always kept them critter free until they leave for the year. As long as the seven stays dry it stay effective for some time.
2020 Currently 42 nest, 110 babies, 64 eggs left to hatch(6-22-20) HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.
John Miller

The PMCA recommends nest changes at 10 days, about the time mites sometimes become numerous, and again at 20. I try to go through my housing when babies are on average about 10 days...some nests will be teaming with mites and some you see none...and tap in about 1/4 teaspoon of 5% garden sevin along two sides, trying not to get right in the nest bowl. nests with mites will be clean in 24 hours, and other nests usually controlled then through fledging. Wet nests and high humidity may contribute to more mites. Not sure sevin helps with blow fly larvae; probably need nest changes for those.
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

I agree with those respondents on DE. Although it appears as a dust, It's micoscopic sharp edges can injure eyes, lungs and act as an irritant. John's comment about wet nests is also true regarding blowfies. I have to be on constant watch for blow fly maggots. Last year the only nests with blow flies were those nests in which the parents had collected a large quantity of green leaves. I found blow flies in the middle layer of the leaves which was still damp. In those nests where all of the leaves had dried, there were none found. I also change nests every ten days, regardless if nothing is found on inspection. I also use sevin. Things can change quickly, so why take a chance?

Have a good season.

Ed
BillieJR

I have never changed a nest in the middle of the program, so to speak. Can you please educate me on how this all works? I am curious as to how you do it because it will be totally different than what the PMs have made and I'm happy that they accept it but do you do anything special so they do accept the new nest? I mean - if they use mud - do you also try to mimmick how they do theirs, to the best of your ability? thanks!
Billie from south central Wisconsin
Okie
Martin Colony History: 2016 Informed landlord now Have 2 pair returning from 2015 That is a miracle. Hoping for a very successful year, sparrow population on decline.
First house was plastic with crescent holes Had martins within a few days. Ignorant landlord gradually lost them
Then got Trio House and still lost most of them. Lots of sparrows

Search it on you tube. Several good videos. I think Larry Melcher has one and his are very good.
Okie
PMCA member
2016 Started with 2 pair, 1 pair abandoned after HOSP destroyed eggs
1 pair= 6 eggs, 6 fledged
2017 1 pair so far, But they abandoned before nest complete for ?reason? Now Bridless and joined the Wannabes
2018 One pair ASY male SY female 5 eggs, 5 fledged
BillieJR

Thanks, I will.
Billie from south central Wisconsin
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

BillieJR wrote:I have never changed a nest in the middle of the program, so to speak. Can you please educate me on how this all works? I am curious as to how you do it because it will be totally different than what the PMs have made and I'm happy that they accept it but do you do anything special so they do accept the new nest? I mean - if they use mud - do you also try to mimmick how they do theirs, to the best of your ability? thanks!
Try to do nest changes when the weather is good & as fast as you can.....I use a 5 gallon bucket to carry supplies...Rags, paper towels, White Pine Straw, cedar chips, regular straw, Sevin powder, a putty knife to scrape out the old nest, clip board to record info. You'll also need a empty bucket to place the chicks in.

Carefully remove each chick, inspect for blow-fly larva (paying attention to feet, legs, under wings & neck) & remove any. If you see any blood spots on a chick it most likely has or had a blow-fly larva on it. Place each one in a bucket. Put a towel over top to keep them out of the sun/wind/etc. Dump the nest, inspecting for blow-fly larva, mites, etc. Put about 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of Sevin power on the bottom. Then build the nest. I use a handful of cedar chips, then place a big handful of dried White Pine needles on top. Some call it pine straw. If you don't have White Pine needles basic straw will work. Make a bowl with your fist towards the back. You do not have to replace a mud dam. Place each chick back tummy side down. Record each nest you changed, when you changed the nest & if you found insects. Raise the house back up. The parents will act nervous & fuss a bit, but in a few minutes they will go back in.

Nests should be changed if any sign of insects are there or they get wet or are very messy.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
Rodger Drye
Martin Colony History: Have been hosting and providing a sanactuary for Purple Martins for 30 years.

I have to agree 100% with what Toy said - Very Good information.!! I use a Turkey Baster to distribute the Seven Dust and if a Gourd is coated with Mites I use liquid spray Seven only on the outside. Kill every Mite you see. When they Bite the baby Bird's - It Hurts.! Back in the day my Dad put a tablespoon of Seven and a teaspoon of Sulphur in each Gourd or Nest.

Rodger
PMCA Member
Have been Hosting and Protecting Martin's for 30 years.
443pal

We have a 2 12 apartment aluminum houses, with each apartment having a floor. Can I put diatomaceous under the floor prior to nesting, as they make their nest out of mud.
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

No DE anytime. 443 pal, please visit our Iowa site and register as a member. Email me with a username and email so I can review entry info. It is safe, free and hsare with other purple martin landlords from Iowa.I live in Nevada, IA.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.