new eggs! question

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
ron20m

I thought I was well into the season wth over 270 eggs/babies in 3 gourd racks of 24 each. Oldest babies about 14 days old.
I checked all three racks on 5/30.
Today I lowered them and had 3!!!!, yes three nests with new eggs that were empty on 5/30.
It makes me wonder if these re refugees from another colony or something.
Is it normal to have such late nesters after everyone else been here so long?
BobbyG
Martin Colony History: 10 years

That is weird I have 2 houses empty that all of a sudden a male and female are building nests.
Kyler
Martin Colony History: PMCA Member - Project MartinWatch - Enlarged Compartments - SREH - S&S Control - Mite Control - Predator Guards - Heat Control ( Vents and Insulation ) - Supplemental Feeding -

Manage 8 Colonies that consist of 250 Cavities in Colby Kansas.

Offer 78 Cavities Main Site
Offer 12 Cavities Golf Course
Offer 30 Cavities Grandpa’s Public Site
Offer 28 Cavities Grandpa’s Site
Offer 12 Cavities Homeowners Site
Offer 48 Cavities Homeowners Site
Offer 6 Cavities Home Site
Offer 36 Cavties Homeowners Site

Ron/Bobby,
Most of the time when you have something like that happen! Means that something went wrong at their colony that they were nesting at! Could of been and predator problem or really anything that made them leave the site! Maybe something with a storm came though and damaged their house or really anything! I have a colony that is about a 1/4 mile from me and their houses got damaged from a storm with 90 mile per hour winds! We have noticed that more martins have been visiting my site after that storm came through!

Hope this helps!! Good luck!

Kyler,
Purple Martin Landlords of Northwest KS
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC9HDLGlbCmSYcSExIySwUQA

2013 & 2015 - 0 Pair -
2014 - 1 Pair - 4 Eggs - 3 Hatched - 3 Fledged -
2016 - 5 Pair - 27 Eggs - 24 Hatched - 13 Fledged -
2017 - 18 Pair - 102 Eggs - 78 Hatched - 69 Fledged -
2018 - 22 Pair - 115 Eggs - 92 Hatched - 86 Fledged -
2019 - 28 Pair - 144 Eggs - 131 Hatched - 125 Fledged -
2020 - 40 Pair - 190 Eggs - 133 Hatched - 111 Fledged So Far - (Bad Year! To Many Single SY Males)
John Barrow

Ron, I don't find anything unusual about finding new eggs 3 days after you did a nest check and found over 300. Have you done regular nest checks throughout the season and in past years? The new ones seem pretty much in sync with the those you found 3 days earlier.
I do find it remarkable that you found 41 new eggs in the three new compartments you mention. In my opinion, it is highly unlikely that martins from another site found your site and laid 41 days within a few days of arrival. Generally it takes at least 10 days after a martin begins nesting following displacement, renesting, or second broods before they will reproduce eggs at a site.
~~TEAMED WITH A MARTIN GODDESS~~

Member/Mentor-PMCA. I do regular nestchecks and participate in PROJECT MARTINWATCH!! Coordinated 3 geolocator studies-2009, 2010 & 2013. State and Fed licensed bander (retired Jan., 2020)
ron20m

I do pretty regular nest checks, prob avg about every 4 days, then when time to do 10 day nest checks I take them down almost every day to change out individual nests.
I did a nest check on 6/2 bt it was relatively col and had been raining earlier. About 6 adults stayed in nests so I only checked the one gourd.
Today I checked the other two gourds and there were 5 more nests with new eggs.

To complicate things, I realized I have 3 nests that I wrote down eggs on 5/1 but there are only eggs still in nests, untouched. Strangely 5 in all three. I hate to take them out thinkig I may have written down the wrong date, but my guess is hawk predation on the mom

I now have 5 nests that have 14 day old babies,