Sparrow woes and observations

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
ron20m

I've mentioned on here before one of my methods for trapping sparrows in gourds.
I lower my houses enough to reach with small ladder
Wait till dark.
Place a bag or net(now I have a great butterfly net) over entrance and run a screwdriver or wire up drain hole in bottom of gourd and sparrow flys right into bag, bam!
I have to use that on my Bo 11's, on troyer Horiz I use door trap.

A problem I've noticed is that either way I tend to catch female. Male seems to be much harder to catch.

The only way I seem to be able to catch a male is with a ground feeder trap.

What I worry about now that I have eggs is that the male will go on a rampage and destroy some eggs.

Always up for new thoughts
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

Does the male just not flush out with the female or is the male not in there?
Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
arkansasmartinman
Martin Colony History: 2015 1st year landlord, put up Coates 12-room house, with round holes, had 10-pairs the first year!
2016-Added a 2nd house. Trendsetter 16-room with SREH, filled up 14 rooms in the 16 room house.
18 pairs, 60 fledged

I invested in 3 sparrow traps this year, and have caught and killed about 12 sparrows, prob half & half male/female. Right when I thought I had them under control, I've recently been noticing a male sparrow going in and out of a couple different holes, where there are already established Martin nests. The sparrow goes inside, while the Martin is away. Then the Martin chases the sparrow off when it comes back.
there are a few holes without Martin nests and I'm not sure why the sparrow seems to want to go into the one where there is a Martin nest. This is on my older Coates house, that is tougher to raise & lower, but
In going to look inside it tomorrow. I've got Martin eggs in the new trendsetter house!
ron20m

DebA one night I flushed out a female and as I was "taking care of her" the male flew out. I have NEVER had a male be the only one in there.

This year I went out at dusk and wasn't pitch black dark, I got female but left my net up there and poked some more and a Martin flushed from neighboring compartment which had never happened. I didn't know if it was because I poked around to long or it was too soon after sundown but I will wait till really dark and only poke once/flush and stop quickly. In the past sparrows in same rack would flush from slight movement but Martins never did.

Deb when I use my Troyer trap I usually get female too and sometimes a male never comes back to re spring the trap.

Also when I ground feed I worry about attracting sparrows so I usually only do it on Sat and Sunday and stop
ron20m

DebA one night I flushed out a female and as I was "taking care of her" the male flew out. I have NEVER had a male be the only one in there.

This year I went out at dusk and wasn't pitch black dark, I got female but left my net up there and poked some more and a Martin flushed from neighboring compartment which had never happened. I didn't know if it was because I poked around too long or wet too soon after sunset but I will go later and only poke once and get one bird and quit from now on.

Also I've only gotten females when I set troyer trap. when I get female, male usually do not return