question about wet nests with eggs

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
ron20m

I had terrible storms go through and have only a few nests with eggs. I'm at the stage where most have one or two. only two or three with 4.
In past when a driving thunderstorm came through I would change out nests to try to keep babies warm and alive.
Question is eggs? I would think hypothermia would kill an egg as well and even if mom is "sitting" on them how could they possibly stay warm in a soaked nest.
This year I am woefully unprepared and don't even have any extra nesting material after filling the gourds for arrival
But for the future
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

The soaked nest is understandable in a driving rain , especially if you do not have tunnels with drain holes in the tunnels. Some water will naturally enter an open entrance. A lot of drain holes also help to drain most of the water quickly, and the nests should not normally be real wet.

I have gourds with tunnels. There is no water entering at the mounting holes. There are drain holes in the tunnels so no water gets into the gourds during a driving rain. The nests remain nearly completely dry. If your wet nests have been a problem in previous years, then you need to fix the leaks. Water may be entering at the hanging wires if you mount the gourds with wires

However, during real wet cycles, the martins bring in some water on their wet bodies, and the nesting material does get damp due partially to the high humidity.

None of the above should hurt a lot if there is ZERO water in the gourds. The martins will keep the eggs viable. If you have water inside the gourds, you definitely need to do some mods to fix the problem. You may lose an egg out of a clutch due to wet weather, and we have a lot of it here in Texas, but normally the wet weather should not be a problem.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
ron20m

I have tunnels and I guess you don't get the kind of driving rains we get. I have standard Bo 11s and troyer horizontels with the tunnels sold with them.
Out of 72 gourds I would say 5 were completely dry because the angles were just right to the wind.