NEED GOOD ADVICE ASAP PLEASE

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
rrmartins

Right now central Tx is have 35 mph steady winds with gust up to 50. I lowered the T14 but now it wants to swing around the pole and the martins are not going to it, just flying above it. Its supposed to do this all night, what do I do?
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

In our area we are used to 30-40mph winds throughout the summer. Not everyday but several in a row for sure. I always left my houses up. Mine were anchored to a 4x4 post in our fence line. Which did help their sturdiness but there would be significant sway in the house. I have seen our martins struggle with the wind. Sometimes they stay up high where I assume it might be calmer. Even though they struggle they seem to eventually land on the house and waste no time popping inside. This has just been my experience.

Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
rrmartins

Mine is on a Sch. 80 steel pole and I have never had a problem with 30 mph, 50, I'm not sure.

I put a wedge in between the pole and the bottom mount of the house, so far so good. There was four in the house I did not know were there.

Thanks a lot
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

the wedge is a good idea, make sure it's secure. the other thing to try would be to pound some stakes into the ground and use bungee cords to secure the house so it could not spin. a bit of movement would not be a problem.
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

I am so glad you found some inside. That helps ease your mind. It's rough how we all fret for these birds! We all try our best, don't we? Take care tonight.
Deb
D'Nese

Our first T14 is on a round pole. We plan on changing it to a square eventually but for now we use a block of wood and a clamp when it's lowered and it works nicely. U kinda clamp the wood to the pole and use the bottom of the house as a wedge.
I try to keep it lowered in the spring as we experience high winds till later in the spring. The martins don't care about the height of the house. Last year my first arrival was sitting on the house and it was about 5 ft from the ground. They do care about the orientation of the entrances so that is what is important. Hope this helps. :lol:
D'Nese in Tennessee

2009-new house up, many visitors no one stayed
2010-3 pairs, 14 eggs, 9 babies 9 fledged
2011 20 pairs, 106 eggs, 79 fledged
2012 37 pair, 120 fledged
2013 37 pair, 173 fledged
rrmartins

D'Nese wrote:Our first T14 is on a round pole. We plan on changing it to a square eventually but for now we use a block of wood and a clamp when it's lowered and it works nicely. U kinda clamp the wood to the pole and use the bottom of the house as a wedge.
I try to keep it lowered in the spring as we experience high winds till later in the spring. The martins don't care about the height of the house. Last year my first arrival was sitting on the house and it was about 5 ft from the ground. They do care about the orientation of the entrances so that is what is important. Hope this helps. :lol:
Thanks for the tip using the clamp. Yesterday I just drove a block up in between the house and pole.
All is well, wind died down and the Martins are having fun today.
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
Siberman

Duct tape. :wink:
2010: 5 pair - raptor attack .
2011 : nada .
2012 : 1 pair - 5 eggs / 5 fledged .
2013: zero
2014: Lots of visitors
2015 : several visitors . Seriously considering purchasing a drone to scare off raptors .
Chriscreole

Holy Cow Neighbor, what a windy past few days.

Well Hutto survived the high winds, good test for the Super System 24. My Martins just settled in the gourds and hung in there, Sure Glad you made it through without issues except for worring over your babies like a good mom would do hahaha!

anything I can do just give a shout Neiighbor.
PMCA Member since 2010
Super System 24, All Troyer W/Conley 2 entrances.
zoefluf

I usually lower my gourd rack to around 8 feet when we have high winds and it doesn't seem to bother the Martins at all.

I've kept them up in 60mph winds in the off season with no problem. I have a two inch square aluminum pole.
Jeanne
"Look at the birds in the sky. They do not sow or reap, yet your heavenly Father feeds them."
rrmartins

Chriscreole wrote:Holy Cow Neighbor, what a windy past few days.

Well Hutto survived the high winds, good test for the Super System 24. My Martins just settled in the gourds and hung in there, Sure Glad you made it through without issues except for worring over your babies like a good mom would do hahaha!

anything I can do just give a shout Neiighbor.
Thank you.

My sch. 80 steel pole has never bent. It is 17ft. in the air so that T14 really gets to rocking when the wind hits it that high. The house I built very strong with screws and used wood glue at every seam. You would be amazed at how far it rocks back and forth when the strong winds hit it.
T14
7 pair
25 fledged