dead martin?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
zoefluf

In the gourd with my webcam there is a dead fledgling. The other three are moving around a eating and should be fledging any day. Should I disturb them by taking out the dead fledgling. I am afraid they will jump. Or should I just leave them be and let the dead bird in there?

I have to wonder if I didn't have the web cam and knew nothing about the dead bird, I wouldn't be any the wiser, because I stopped checking the nests two weeks ago because so many were fledging. I hate to interfere but what should I do now.
Jeanne
"Look at the birds in the sky. They do not sow or reap, yet your heavenly Father feeds them."
zoefluf

Well, as usual, I couldn't wait for a reply and had to take action. I lowered the housing and took out the dead bird - it looked like it had been pecked. Sparrows? There was a nest that fledged sparrows on that housing recently- the only one I couldn't manage to kill the parents before they fledged UURRGGHH!

Anyway, the other three nestlings look very healthy and I hope they fledge soon so I can relax. Other than this incident, I have had a fabulous year with hundreds of fledglings flying about and cheering me up! Only two or three nests of Martins left to fledge. Then I'll be able to breathe again and concentrate on trapping the sparrows that want to nest in my housing.

Thanks anyway! :)
"Look at the birds in the sky. They do not sow or reap, yet your heavenly Father feeds them."
Conrad Baker

I think you did the right thing by removing the dead baby as soon as possible. You don't want to attract flies, etc. If you did it quickly, and didn't cause a lot of commotion, the other babies are probably calmed down enough to remain. I did a nest check last week, and had only one compartment left in my colony with three young birds about 10 days old . They didn't seem to mind me looking in on them.