southern colonies

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
vman
Martin Colony History: have not had martins for last 20 yrs. trying to re establish a colony

southern colonies

Postby vman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:41 pm

Just curious if the martins that nest in the southern states ever raise two batches of young? With them returning this early in the season when do they start nesting in your area?
Jim

Whippy

Re: southern colonies

Postby Whippy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:07 pm

Jim,

I had one pair in 2017. They nested just fine then lost their clutch reason unknown. I posted many times they abandoned the site but was later very happy to see they returned and nested again. They were successful the 2nd time fledging 3. They had time to make two attempts. Being that I'm new to this and they were my first and only pair, I've not had experience with two successful broods but did have experience of two attempts.

Coolwhips

rrmartins

Postby rrmartins » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:38 pm

I’ve had double clutches twice here in central Texas.
T14
13 pair
65 fledged

John Barrow

Postby John Barrow » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:34 am

I have observed and documented 40 or more successful second brood attempts at my colonies in Corpus Christi and near Sandia, TX, since first observing them in 2004. I have published at least three articles about second broods in Purple Martin Update. I have documented nine banded ASY martins involved in second brood attempts--five male and four female. In 2012, my Sandia colony hosted 25 pairs, of which 13 pairs raised and fledged two broods (resulting in an overall fledge total of 9, 10 or 11 for the season per pair).

Although first arrivals, which are sparse, have occurred in January at both colonies, significant ASY migration begins in mid-February and continues through March. Nesting usually begins during the first part of April, when SY migration is becoming significant. ASY nests will fledge their first brood in late May or early June, and second broods typically begin in mid June and fledge in late July or early August.

Here is a link to a prior post that includes a photo of an ASY banded female feeding occupants of a second brood that was included in the 2016 Update article referenced in the post, and which article gives a comprehensive overview of how to find and document second broods.

https://www.purplemartin.org/forum/view ... ond+broods
~~TEAMED WITH A MARTIN GODDESS~~

Member/Mentor-PMCA. I do regular nestchecks and participate in PROJECT MARTINWATCH!! Coordinated 3 geolocator studies-2009,2010 & 2013. State and Fed licensed bander

vman
Martin Colony History: have not had martins for last 20 yrs. trying to re establish a colony

Postby vman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:19 am

Thanks for the info, very interesting, here in wi. it's 10 degrees this morning, looking forward to april!!
Jim

Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university.

Postby Ed Svetich-WI » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:55 pm

Jim,

I had my first second nest last summer here in Wisconsin. The pair layed eggs a full week before the other martins, successfully raised their young and began a second clutch in the same gourd begiining a week after their first young fledged. I don't know how often this happens up north but I do believe that is unusual.

Looking forward to 2018. Last year my first ASY male was here on April 3rd. Plenty of winter yet to come.
Ed

tor
Martin Colony History: 2015: 4 pair
2016: 32 pair
2017: 39 pair

Postby tor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:24 pm

Never seen that happen here, but that don't mean it didn't....
2015: 4 pair
2016: 32 pair
2017: 39 pair (was getting tight with 42 available cavities. 66 cavities are ready for 2018)
2018:

Purple Martin Landlords Of South Carolina
Torlo.com - Live Life Like There is No Tomorrow

MichaelH
Martin Colony History: 2015 28 cavities 2 pairs nested raised 7 young
2016 big upgrade 56cavities 34gourds, modified trio with 6 cavities,new trendsetter 16 and bed n breakfast feeding station 16 pairs great year
2017 added two new houses

Postby MichaelH » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:46 pm

I am in macoupin county Illinois and I had a pair arrive end of March last season 2017 had 4 eggs within 4 weeks and a week after there babies fledged they laid again and raised 3 more all successfully but they were the last young to leave late for me but at least 10 other birds hung around with my last pair and waited for the birds to fledge and within a couple of days they were all gone very cool to see them raise too broods so it happens here too they sure worked hard all summer long bless them lol
2015 upgrade 12 compartments houses to 6 and adding 8 more Troyer gourds to rack.,to make 16 gourds had 2pairs nest 7 fledged
2016 big upgrade.56 cavities 34gourds ,modified trio 6 cavities,new trendsetter 16 with 16 cavities,and a bed n breakfast feeding station.pmca member 16 pairs
2017 added 2 lonestar alamos and another 10 gourds 94cavities available 36 pairs fledged 129
2018 added new Gemini Rack removed an old house have 112 cavities

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”