Longest season ends with good results in Wisconsin

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university.

Longest season ends with good results in Wisconsin

Postby Ed Svetich-WI » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:39 am

My first martin of 2017 arrived April 3rd. My last martin just left on September 11th; a long season of 162 days here with martins. In 2016, my last martin was seen on August 5th.

24 pair laid 136 eggs. I again had 100% occupancy. They hatched 133(98%) and fledged 118(89%). Egg to fledge ratio was lower this year at 87%. One ASY pair had two successful clutches. Their first 3 young fledged on July 5th and the second 3 fledged on August 27th. This pair produced 9 eggs, hatched 7 and fledged 6. After a rash of dead nestlings at about 5 days of age 7 days, next year I will initiate nest replacements at day 5 next year in addition to replacements at days 10 and 20. I have no explanation for the early deaths other than rain, but I consider them preventable. We will see.

I had as many as 10 martins here as late as September 4th. There have also been visiting martins when no resident martins are present, just the gourd racks. For those landlords still waiting for their first martins, we advise leaving empty houses up for migrating martins at hopeful sites. This is verification that martins are still here in Central Wisconsin later than I was aware, if they have a reason to show themselves. In the past, I would have had everything down and stored by now so they would have passed me by.

All in all, this was a successful season although a late second nesting does cause some anxiety.

Good luck in 2018.

Ed

Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2017, 54 pair with 202 fledged youngsters. 73 total compartments available, 48 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified trio metal house units, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Re: Longest season ends with good results in Wisconsin

Postby Dave Duit » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:17 am

Hi Ed,
Super season for you. I have had migrators pass by and check out my housing here in central Iowa. It is always a good idea to keep them open for migration as you do at your location. Your success fledge percentage was good. You have always been a good recorder of your colony.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.

Whippy

Postby Whippy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:17 pm

Thanks for the report.I am n North Texas in the Dallas area and haven't seen a Martin all month. I am keeping my gourds up for any possible migrants but not sure if this is a route they will take South but always hopeful and on the lookout. Since I work long hours I'm not around to see if any come through during the day. I wonder if any other North Texas have seen any Martins pass through lately.

Coolwhips.

cnevett27

Postby cnevett27 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:48 pm

I still have one more rack up here in Washington Mo. Haven't seen any martins for quite awhile. I guess migration is still taking place. Thanks for the input. I'll wait alittle longer.

Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university.

Postby Ed Svetich-WI » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:24 pm

If you have either Dawn Song or Daytime Chatter, play them. If there are any martins near, they will visit. It may just be a flyby but, what do you have to lose?
Good luck.

Ed

randyM
Martin Colony History: Had 2 wooden and 1 plastic house up since 2004. Had one ASY pair nest in 2006 - male disappeared during bad storm, but female finished fledging 4 young on her own. Had SY pair nest in 2009, but did not hatch any eggs. Added plastic gourds to housing in June of 2015, had SY male stay for 3 weeks but didn't attract a female that would stay. Had lots of late visitors during late fall migration while playing martin chatter CD. Added more decoys and multiple styles of plastic gourds to my spread in 2016...it worked - 1 pair (ASYM + SYF) fledged both young that hatched!! S & S control done studiously every year.

2017 - 4 nesting pair, 16/17 eggs hatched and all 16 young banded and fledged. 1 additional SY pair that built nest but laid no eggs. Also had 4 extra SY males stay during the nesting season...hopefully will add members to this new and expanding colony in 2018.

Postby randyM » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:32 pm

Congratulations on another successful season, Ed! You are correct in that keeping housing and decoys up and playing the martin chatter CD at least through late Sept. in the northland (perhaps even later down south) will entice migrating martins to stop by for a visit and perhaps come back again in the spring. In northern South Dakota my last pair fledged their young on August 2nd and brought them back for the night until about August 15th. I had no birds visit my housing after that until I started to play the daytime chatter CD on August 20th. I had birds visit almost daily...mostly young-of-the-year, but a few SY birds as well. I know none of the young were from my colony, as I had all 16 of my young banded this year. I also have no known colonies within 20 miles of mine (I live in very rural SD), so the birds that visited my site were true migrants. Recently I had 8 visitors on Sept. 5th and 1 on the 6th. I've been gone for the past week, so not sure if any more stopped by since the 6th. I also had visitors stop by my colony through September 10th during the previous two years.

I have often wondered if playing the daytime chatter CD and placing martin decoys in a colony late in the nesting season would prevent some of the very late nesters from abandoning their young when the rest of the residents of the colony leave for pre-migratory roosts. I did not try it this year as there were still 7 other martins that stayed at my colony until my last nest fledged. Has anyone tried this before with any luck?

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”